Future Rule Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
    Here are some ideas I've found from other leagues. Most league's do this in terms of "participation points" but we could create a system that uses cash as well.

I also agree with what Riverman said. Why is one type of cash more virtuous than others? I think it might be a good idea to allow teams to keep any bonus money over the cash max as cash, rather than automatically convert it to the stadium fund. The catch to that is, if you choose to leave it as cash it will be subject to the cash max at the end of the following season.

- edit player intangibles (work ethic, greed, etc)
    - stadium expansion and alteration (already doing this)
    - change logo
    - change team nickname
    - change fan loyalty/market size
    - convert to usable cash
    - add nickname to player
    - improve personnel
    - convert retired player to personnel
    - teach players new positions
    - modify pitcher endurance
    - buy down injury time for injuries longer than 6 months
    - offer bonuses to talk a player out of retirement.

And my favorite idea.. I saw a basic version of this and decided to expand a little bit...
    - a system for stadium maintenance and renovation. Basically each stadium would start to decay over time. We would probably make it a static amount each year * a small random number so we would have a little bit of variance.
    - Teams could spend money on yearly maintenance costs to slow the decay
    - Teams could instead save money and perform renovation which would cost signficantly more.
    - Teams could also save money and use the system (which probably needs to be revised) to build a new stadium.

Why would teams want to waste money on this?
    - Because after a stadium reaches a certain level of decay Fan Interest and Fan Loyalty starts to drop, which of course effects attendance, etc.
    - Teams with high quality stadiums and new stadiums will get bonuses to Fan Interest and Fan Loyalty.
    I think it would be a lot simpler to allow bonus money to go into cash rather than editing future year salaries if we decide to do anything different with it at all.

I also like the idea of the stadium renovation, though that would be more of an enhancement of what we are already doing rather than something new.

For the others I am not altogether sure what you are proposing. Are you suggesting, for instance, that teams be allowed to buy an increase in a player's work ethic or that they can buy a new position for a player? If so, that seems a little eccentric to me but maybe I just don't understand the rational.

Buying improvements in personnel (more money spent on player development throughout the organization) or increases in fan loyalty/interest (advertising) seem more realistic though I wish I understood how coach ratings and fan loyalty actually affected the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverman View Post
      For the others I am not altogether sure what you are proposing.
      I'm not proposing any of them. That's just a list of the ideas I found that other leagues are using. In fact, I would strongly argue against some of them.

Other than stadium renovation/decay the only other ones that jump out at me are giving people the ability to convert retired players into personnel (within limits) and the ability to talk players out of retirement by paying them a substantial bonus. (no changes to ratings or guarantees that they'll play out their entire contract)

Comment

just my 2 cents, and i'm sure i'll get crap for it, but i like things the way they are.

Comment

Not a ton of those that I like...but I do like the stadium renovation one a lot.
          Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
          Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
          Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Working...
          X