This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM - Legend Series

BLB News will be interviewing several GM's in our upcoming "Legend Series" that will be published periodically. This series will showcase some of the longer tenured GM's in the league as they talk about subjects ranging from their team philosophy to staying competitive on a regular basis to who their favorite player is or was.

To start off the series we interviewed Delandis from the Baltimore Bulldogs. With a lifetime record of 2718-2290, a Brewmaster's Cup in 2001 and eleven playoff appearances he has been a great competitor and asset to the league.

What is your team philosophy?

-I always design my teams to win in Baltimore first. I'd like to maximize my wins at home and then look for additions to my team to get more wins away from home after analyzing our deficiency over the first couple of months of the season.

Pitchers or hitters?

-The casual baseball fan in me loves to get heavy hitters. However, the scientist in me recognizes patterns and I know you need pitching to make it to the top of the mountain. My biggest advice to new players is build from the bullpen. Everyone wants to have that great starting five in their rotation but most likely, that isn't going to happen simply because of talent supply, injuries, etc. However, you can almost always build a strong bullpen. Focus on that to start building a solid team and to maximize wins.

Who is/was your favorite player?

-My favorite player of all-time is Loren Wallace. He was a five-tool player and the cornerstone of our early 90's success. We drafted him in 1987 and he took the league by storm with great seasons in 90-92 until his untimely demise.

What was your favorite team?

-Our 2006 team. We sent out future HOF'ers in Erik Keifer (SP) and Al Hamilton (OF) as well as current Batavia star, Diego Flores and I fully expected us to be a .500 team. We played well, won 93 games, even upset the 108 win Playboy's squad. It was a piecemeal team that just fought and scrapped to the IL championship game.

What was the key to your championship?

-To be totally honest a combination of prepared depth and luck. We got lucky with a few outstanding performances from guys like Angelo Barrios (OF) and Hector Castre (SP) in the playoffs. We also benefited from the fact that Virginia didn't make the playoffs that year so there was a clean feeling (minus the questionable loss of bullpen depth RIGHT BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS.

You are one of the biggest traders...what are you looking for in a trade?

-I'm always looking to move players from struggling teams that want to move to a winning organization. I've rarely had success of moving winners to our team.

How do you compete year after year?

1. I always look to build a winning organization (LOL, yes I said it), even if I know you aren't going to win it all that year.

2. Don't be afraid to make moves. If that means trading your 1st round picks or best players, you gotta take those risks. However, when you do pick in the first round, don't miss. :)

3. Don't check out on the late rounds of the draft. Sure, you are going to miss more than you hit but that's baseball. However, random picks from the utility are not the way to go. You need those serviceable dirtdogs that will give you a stopgap until the next stars are obtained. Use the draft to its full potential.

4. I think the biggest contribution to our success is moral maintenance. There are some who call it window dressing, but I think moral is the single biggest factor to success in OOTP.

Thank you Delandis for your time. Keep tuning in as the Legend Series looks to track down and interview our next GM.

Great read!

Miami Sharks (BLB)
    * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
    * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

This is such a great idea. Matt, you have been on fire lately with the posts. Im really enjoying reading all of this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BDub View Post
        This is such a great idea. Matt, you have been on fire lately with the posts. Im really enjoying reading all of this stuff.
        Yeah, it's very NCFA in your prime.
        Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
        Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
        IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
        Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
        Last Call '08 (Manning)
        New Brew '08 (Pulido)
        Desert Legends
        #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Very cool!
          Maine Guides
          General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
          Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
          Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
          Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
          8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
          30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

I have a lot more time now that football is over. Just trying to come up with different ideas to add to the league. If anyone wants to add anything or has any ideas just send me a PM.

Comment

This is pretty darn cool

Comment

Nice! Looking forward to more.
                GM - Davenport Brawlers BLB

Comment

I always feel like we have the best online league because of stuff like this. Thanks Matt!

Comment

BLB News was successful in tracking down another "Legend" in Maine GM 'The Letter Z'. When Z runs a team it's often a competitor as he has led multiple franchises to the playoffs and is the proud winner of the 2006 Brewmasters. He is a very active GM that is often in the spotlight and has become a media darling. Just like with our previous 'Legend' Delandis he is a great asset to the BLB.

We call it "P & D" in Maine—pitching and defense. Strike guys out, keep the ball in the park, and surround our pitchers with glove men who can make a huge amount of plays.

I have three favorites, the first of which few active GMs remember.

Joe Iliquez, the center fielder on my early Freedom clubs. He put together a pair of exceptional seasons in 1979 and 1980. At ages 24 and 25, he played outstanding defense in center, stole 30+ bases each year, and averaged 67 extra base hits between the two seasons. Unfortunately, he crashed into the outfield wall in spring training the next year and missed all of 1981. He was never the same, though he managed to play another ten seasons.

Joe "Bluto" Aurillo has unfortunately been lost to time a bit. The first overall pick in 1979, the southpaw pitched some of the best baseball this league has seen. 22-1 record with a 1.50 ERA in 1983. Then the next year, he won 19 games, had a 1.73 ERA, and struck out 280 batters. Sadly, as with Iliquez, injuries took their toll in his 20s. He nevertheless finished 175 career wins and a 3.10 ERA. It's a tremendous oversight that he isn't in the Hall of Fame.

And of course, Steve Suarez. A league record 11 straight Defense with Integrity Awards. Almost 2,500 career hits (and counting). Nearly 300 home runs now. A ring. He's a future Hall of Famer in my book. A rock for us in the outfield for over a decade now.

Good question.

Of course my first instinct is to say the championship club.

Our 2008 team might have been better. It's my personal favorite. We won 108 games and took the division by 17 win. Adan Neubauer broke out that year, the season before he won Pale Ale. Twinkle Toes made a big jump.

Plus, we had a couple veteran leaders (Zak Gaston and Lucca Memmoli) trying to get a ring.

What was the key to your championship?

The persistence to keep playing baseball after trailed three games to two going on the road to play the last two games of the Cup.

Steve Suarez hit out of his mind that postseason. .325 batting average with 8 home runs, 13 RBIs, and 16 runs scored in those playoffs. Enrique Zurita was great, too.

And of course, Raulo Gutierrez. He had a 2.99 ERA that year at age 40. But he strained his forearm in August. It looked like he was going to be done—period. But he worked and he worked and he worked—and he came back during the Brewmaster's Cup. And he threw 6 and 2/3 good innings and we won that game.

How do you compete year after year?

I try to stay focused on our goal. Usually it's to compete for the Ale title, which is always one of the toughest divisions.

So I work to avoid making moves that work against that goal.

During my earlier years, with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh especially, I sometimes retooled—trading a veteran away from an otherwise competitive team to replenish long-term assets.

That approach didn't work well for me. I frequently couldn't replace the departing veteran as well as I expected I could. It hurt the team. A lot of the time, the prospects I received in return didn't pan out either.

We have a good group of players in Maine. For years I've tried to let them grow and play baseball. I make changes around the margins but not messing with a good thing.

I found an approach that works for the franchise.

Z thank you for your time! Tune in next week as the series continues with another "Legend" of the BLB.

Comment

Man, these are awesome!

Comment

When you have a chance to interview "The Legend" of 'Legends' you find the time. It took BLB News a plane flight, bus trip, 4x4 off-road journey, and finally a hike through the woods...but we did it. We tracked down Andrew and asked him to be a part of the Legend Series. After he made us stand outside in the snow for a few minutes while he checked our credentials he eventually let us inside, and we thank him very much for that...because it was cold. So without further delay.

I always tried to find depth in the rotation. Obviously Teagan Corrigan, Gil O'Moore and Tino Suarez were the big names but guys like Orrin Brudenell, Dante Geake, Gervasio Dealba and Corrigan later on in his career pitched a lot of innings in the middle of our rotation and were vital to Maine's success.

It has to be Teagan Corrigan. I was lucky to field a lot of great players during my tenure in Maine but Corrigan was the foundation of our rotation for 10+ years.

I'd have to say the 1981 team. It may surprise some people because it wasn't one of our championship teams but Corrigan and Jon Cleary were at the top of their games that season along with several other key pieces to those early Maine teams like Jose Sanchez and Eddie O'Fallon. It was also 20 year old Gil O'Moore's first full season in the rotation so it was exciting to watch one of the league's first big prospects start to realize his potential.

What was the key to your championships?

To be perfectly honest the biggest key to our early championships was a favorable inaugural draft. We ended up with a great young team and lucked into drafting Gil O'Moore in the first amateur draft.

After that it was just a matter of trying to draft well and knowing when to re-tool. It's much easier to do when you have the key pieces already in place.

Comment

The Founder speaks truly.

Long live the Founder.
                          Maine Guides
                          General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
                          Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
                          Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
                          Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
                          8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
                          30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
                            The Founder speaks truly.

Long live the Founder.
                            Truth.
                            Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
                            Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
                            IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
                            Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
                            Last Call '08 (Manning)
                            New Brew '08 (Pulido)
                            Desert Legends
                            #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Keeps getting better.

Comment

Working...
                              X