X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    That's right, thanks Z.

I've always been hesitant to spend on catchers. It's probably irrational, but I've always felt that way.
    No, I feel the same way.

Except soon I need to pay Voodoo. A lot.

Struggling with the decision.
    Maine Guides
    General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
    Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
    Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
    Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
    8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
    30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
      No, I feel the same way.

Except soon I need to pay Voodoo. A lot.

Struggling with the decision.
      My reasoning is the part time nature of the role. Plus, I'd like to think the ruggedness of the position plays a factor as well. Now, I haven't done tests or anything, but I would hope the game's been coded to include some degradation of offensive skill. Maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        My reasoning is the part time nature of the role. Plus, I'd like to think the ruggedness of the position plays a factor as well. Now, I haven't done tests or anything, but I would hope the game's been coded to include some degradation of offensive skill. Maybe not.
        It has. As Danny Salcedo's C ability slowly slid down the slope, his offense declined as well. That's why I couldn't pay him and tried to play him more at 1B.
        Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
        Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
        IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
        Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
        Last Call '08 (Manning)
        New Brew '08 (Pulido)
        Desert Legends
        #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

The 'Legend Series' continues with arguably the greatest GM to ever be in the BLB. During his career he won over 3100 games, 6 Brewmaster's titles...including the only legit 3-peat the league has ever seen...and made the league what it is today. His competitive nature combined with a unique understanding about baseball and the league made him by far the toughest 'out' the BLB has ever seen come playoff time. Welcome Pat and thank you for your time.

What was your team philosophy?

Stay healthy with depth, P&D and a “Money Ball” approach.

I always used a six-man rotation, routinely giving even my ace just 24-28 starts in a season. I also would use seven-day lineups benching regulars more often than I think any other teams. I would never start a player six games in a row, some not even four. I would also use defensive replacements at a lot of positions to give that extra bit of rest. To be able to do so, my teams had to be deep. My teams rarely missed a beat when a player would go down with injury. I would treat my Triple-A club basically as my BLB deep bench. Routinely signing the AAAA-type veterans to minor league deals for that two-week injury that was inevitable from a key BLB player.

I played in a pitchers park that made it really hard on home-run hitters. I figured in that park, with good to great SP and RP, as long as I had a plus defender at every spot, I would win majority of the games. Because of this strategy, the Bats rarely were a top hitting club but would often get “how the hell is he so good there?” type seasons from pitchers who other clubs had discarded.

As for “Money Ball”, I found after my first handful of seasons that the hardest things to acquire in the BLB were ace SP and a stud at 2B-SS (and to a lesser extent CF-C), with the bat and the glove. Those would become my focus with high draft picks, in trades and in Free-Agency. I was always amazed at teams that would give up the farm, spend a high pick or boat load of Free-Agent money on a 1B, corner OF or RP. I also felt that whenever possible, to always acquire something good in Free-Agency, even if you don’t have a major hole to fill. Being able to acquire talent essentially for free was a way to get a leg up on the competition. I signed a lot of Free-Agents when I had the money to spend.

Pitchers or hitters?

Pitching. I felt it was important to whenever possible have the stronger SP in the game to game match-up and have the stronger pen than your opponent. With hitters, even if you can’t find one who can hit, you could always find a guy who could play great defense, often for very cheap.

Who were your favorite players?

Too many to pick just one.

My favorite hitter would have to be homegrown Pat Ladd. Drafted 7th overall in 1998 out of High School, the Washington, DC born Ladd would exceed all expectations. 300 homeruns, 1,000 RBI, 1,000 runs, eight All-Star games and five (six?) Brewmaster Rings. He’s still getting it done at 35 posting his best numbers since 2007.

My favorite pitchers were Travis DuFour and Troy Hanback, very similar players whose careers will forever be linked. DuFour, drafted 15th overall in 1994, Hanback 16th overall in 1995. Both fell in the draft due to injury concerns, DuFour injured during the draft with a torn flexor tendon and Hanback missing 14 months to Tommy John surgery. The duo formed the #1-#2 at the front of the rotation during the 2002-2004 three-peat.

What was your favorite team?

Tie. 1983, my first Brewmasters team and 2012, my last Brewmasters and final full season.

After my first four seasons, the Bats had never made the post-season. However during that year the team featured the Pale Ale Pitcher (Joe Chavarraga), Stout Slugger (Joe Sierra) and I took home GM of the Year. Chavaragga and Sierra each had arguably the best individual seasons ever in Washington setting numerous club single season records that still stand to this day.

The 2012 team was very sentimental as it was my final season and I felt very lucky to go out on top. It was also I think the only team that had to overcome huge odds to win it all. By far my lowest win total (92) plus key injuries down the stretch and in the playoffs lead to fill-in performances from no-names like Rogelio Martinez, Mat Hendrix and others the BLB had never heard of.

What was the key to your Brewmasters teams?

Health/Luck

There were a handful of seasons where I lost key players during the final few weeks of the season that cost us in the playoffs. Also the flipside of that, I know during the years I did win it all, other teams lost key players that made it a lot easier to win.

I paid top dollar every year to have one of if not the best Team Doctor in the league and (as mentioned above) rested players regularly but that only goes so far. Injuries happen. For some teams at the worst possible times.

Also luck with players and dice rolls. The key to my 1988 Brewmaster’s was SPs Russ McEvoy and Martin “Eager Beaver” Carlton. For those that remember, McEvoy was acquired in FA the season prior and I think was the #1 target to majority of teams. I was lucky to land him. He could have gone anywhere. Carlton was also acquired the season prior in a mid-season trade to help out my bullpen. During the off-season we switched game versions, Carlton was then able to move to SP, and in that year he went 20-0 as a SP! Unreal luck.

What were you looking for in a trade?

For a short while, I didn’t know what I was doing in trades. I sent Nick Latham, arguably the best player I’ve had in my franchise history away for cents on the dollar because I thought he was getting old at 32. Then, the league started to get so competitive many owners, such as myself, wouldn’t complete a trade unless we “won” or at least got even value. In my latter years, probably the last half, I wouldn’t pull the trigger on a deal unless I could see it making sense for the other team as well. Sometimes even being willing to “lose” a trade in terms of value to make aggressive moves with an eye towards the post-season.

Another trade approach I adopted was moving up in the draft. Combining draft picks or players to get the player you really wanted. Sometimes, you would end up drafting a player earlier than they might have gone but I found value in getting the guy I really wanted instead of waiting to take the “best available” approach.

How did you compete year after year?

Taking the BLB way too seriously.

When I first joined the BLB I was a pretty hardcore gamer. Multiple consoles, PC, and later other text-sims. Probably by year three on SGN, I had quit all other text-sims and my console/PC games were collecting dust. The BLB became my sole focus in gaming and I dedicated an insane amount of time to the league.

Not just time spent scouting the drafts or searching the Free-Agent/waiver wires every single sim but also tinkering with seven day lineups, depth charts and matchups to find any sort of edge. I would use six-man rotations, rotating my pitchers for the best possible outcome based on groundball/flyball percentage, home/road splits, park factors, and defensive adjustments to help the pitchers out. I would do the same with hitters to try and maximize wins/production. I would break down each individual game. It got really out of hand when I adopted that approach to the minors.

Would you ever return?

I would definitely entertain the idea if I was needed/wanted, the timing was right and the right opportunity came along.

I know at times I was a headache to a lot of people and looking back on that now I do apologize. I loved the BLB so much I would hate to think I took enjoyment away from other GMs over the years. It was my escape for nearly a decade.

I've always dreamed of running a new expansion team or to a lesser extent taking over a struggling franchise. However, I don't see expansion in the near future or possibly ever. Also, the "struggling franchises" have some of the more dedicated owners who probably want to turn their own ship around, which I applaud and encourage.

Life can get crazy. I obviously still love BLB and miss it, but other things in my life have taken precedent. For those that don't know, I'm married now, moving again, working a new job, possibly going back to school, been attending to family needs and entertaining the idea of starting my own family/being a father. I will always lurk and keep an eye on the league but I have more on my plate than I ever have and with my past BLB addiction, I'm not sure I will ever have the time to be an active owner. Thanks for the opportunity to talk in the Legend Series.

Comment

Another great read, thanks Matt!

And Pat, great job! It's not the same around here without you, so hopefully you do find your way back here sometime soon. Congrats on the marriage!

Comment

If we could get GMs into the Hall, Pat would be the first.

Comment

Pat? Married? And her name ISN'T Mary Jane?

This is unbelievable.

And why the hell couldn't you leave a crappier team for Liquid??

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

Great read Pat! I have to tell you, thank you so much for your help when I first started here :)

I think I am starting to use your approach to the BLB, wishing to be the half good that you are!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                  Miami Sharks (BLB)
                  * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
                  * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

Great read. I owe a lot to Pat at least trying to make this lame brain somewhat competitive for a while.
                    GM - Davenport Brawlers BLB

Comment

This was a legit re-read. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                      X