I just stubbed my toe and my career is over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just stubbed my toe and my career is over

Hate to get too pissy about this whole injury thing, and I know it is happening to everyone and we keep talking about it, but I have two guys in AAA who are out for 13 months a piece, have had 4 of my best players in the BLB go on for at least a month...and then...

Binns - http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/blb/...ayer_2601.html

and now

Merritt - http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/blb/...ayer_3472.html

I think we need to take some sort of vote or something on these career injuries. A 2nd round pitcher who is 21 shouldn't be on the shelf forever already...

I agree, but not really sure what we can do about it. I think the frequency of injuries is just about perfect. The only thing I don't like is that younger players can get career ending injuries. If I knew how, I'd consider editing them out.

Comment

Damn, that sucks

I lost one of my top expansion picks to a career ending injury (Preston Bowen) and he was in a similar age range.

Comment

I lost a promising MR a couple years ago to a career ending back injury.

Comment

Look at it from the player's perspective though, the two players who just had their career's ended have morale's of "Good" and "Great" so apparently they aren't bothered too much by their livelyhood being over.

Seriously though that sucks losing your #2 pick about 3 hours into his career.

I think that I'm the only team really avoiding the injury bug at the BLB level this year (not that it has helped my team that much) but have 3 guys in AAA right now shelved for the season.

My feeling is that the rate injuries is pretty realistic. It seems magnified due to in real life not paying any attention to 3 minor league teams for every organization unless its a major prospect that goes down.

Just as a reference here's a couple injury logs from MLB this year:
          http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../injuries.html

I'm still laughing at the title of this thread though.
          Last edited by mahoney2; 11-16-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
            I agree, but not really sure what we can do about it. I think the frequency of injuries is just about perfect. The only thing I don't like is that younger players can get career ending injuries. If I knew how, I'd consider editing them out.
            How many injuries have you had this year? I flipped through some teams the other day and I noticed a few that hardly had any injuries and several that had a ton. I wish there was a way to pull a quick number but I'd bet I've had 10 guys on my BLB DL this season.

I complained a lot about the injuries when we raised the level but stopped since I knew we weren't changing it. I hope 2008 has a new setting for injuries, maybe somewhere between what we have now and the level below it. I stopped signing players over 33-34 for fear of injuries and I still have a ton. Right now I have 3 of my SP on the DL, all for 6+ months.

Edit: After looking at the SI links, yes there are a lot in the MLB, but not nearly as many as these long injuries I've been having. Those 3 SPs of mine are 24, 29 & 32...not exactly really old guys.
            Last edited by Jim; 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM.
            Dallas Snappers

Pilsner Champs: 1984, 1986, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998
            DL Wild card: 1992

Comment

Originally posted by jmw1137 View Post
              How many injuries have you had this year? I flipped through some teams the other day and I noticed a few that hardly had any injuries and several that had a ton. I wish there was a way to pull a quick number but I'd bet I've had 10 guys on my BLB DL this season.
              http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/blb/..._injuries.html

Comment

I would say that injuries are still on the low side compared to RL. I checked before the last Sim and there were six teams with no one on the DL or injured. I doubt there was a single major league team with an empty DL at any time last July. Guys who play baseball everyday at that level get hurt. It seems to me that the bigger problem with the game is that it does not produce enough players who are quality backups.

Young pitchers have career ending injuries all the time though I am not sure about position players. I even knew a guy who was drafted and had a career ending knee injury while pitching in A ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverman View Post
                  I would say that injuries are still on the low side compared to RL.
                  I think you're right. I know it sucks, I have a 1st rounder completely ruined cuz of it....but that's what makes it all the sweeter when you get a guy who makes it. Avoiding landmines to the promised land is what sports is all about.
                  WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
                  Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
                  Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
                  Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
                  BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
                  Hall of Famers: 4
                  Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
                  Stout Sluggers: 2
                  New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
                  You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

personally my BLB has been very lucky as we've only suffered two injuries in the entire regular season... Of course take a look at my AA team and you'll see two of my top pitching prospects got hurt early and were out for the year.

I think the thing is, we're all for realism and career ending injuries until it happens to a player that is on our team that we feel should be a star. I don't know how to fix that.... Should there be some rule that if a player is 24 or younger a career ending injury is shortened to 12-13 months? I know that takes away realism, and would be a pain in the ass for Andrew to have to fix, but it might make people happy. Personally, I'm fine with people having career ending injuries, of course I haven't had two prospects suffer those types of injuires in the same season so my perspective could always change on the issue. As far as how long injuries are.... is there any type of slider that would lower the number of injuries that result in a career being over, or is it strictly a slider for how often players get hurt?
                    California Kodiaks - GM - 1982-2013
                    Brewmaster's Cups: 1987
                    Import League Champions: 1987, 1989
                    Porter Division Champions:
                    1986, 1987, 1989, 1999
                    , 2000
                    Import League Wild Card: 2001, 2003, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Lintyfresh85 View Post
                      personally my BLB has been very lucky as we've only suffered two injuries in the entire regular season... Of course take a look at my AA team and you'll see two of my top pitching prospects got hurt early and were out for the year.

I think the thing is, we're all for realism and career ending injuries until it happens to a player that is on our team that we feel should be a star. I don't know how to fix that.... Should there be some rule that if a player is 24 or younger a career ending injury is shortened to 12-13 months? I know that takes away realism, and would be a pain in the ass for Andrew to have to fix, but it might make people happy. Personally, I'm fine with people having career ending injuries, of course I haven't had two prospects suffer those types of injuires in the same season so my perspective could always change on the issue. As far as how long injuries are.... is there any type of slider that would lower the number of injuries that result in a career being over, or is it strictly a slider for how often players get hurt?

It seems to me that I read somewhere that there is a way to customize injuries but my memory could be faulty. Maybe someone should ask about this on the company tech support board.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverman View Post
                        It seems to me that I read somewhere that there is a way to customize injuries but my memory could be faulty. Maybe someone should ask about this on the company tech support board.
                        There is an injuries.txt file in the OOTP 2007\data\database folder that controls this. That file can be edited and re-imported into an existing league. It's pretty self explanatory if you know how to open it in excel so the columns line up (it's a comma separated file). I'd be perfectly willing to listen to (detailed) suggestions on how to improve it.

Comment

Not sure how well this will show up...

EDIT: nm didnt work
                          Last edited by Andrew; 11-16-2007, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I don't even remember the last time I had a major injury on my BLB team. Of course I just jinxed it now.
                            Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

I don't know that there's much we can do either. We used to have the problem that we had too few injuries, almost no one was hurt. I think there seems to be a lot more these days, but it's probably because I'm getting hit on my star players, and my young best prospects. For a almost nonexistant market team like Hartford, it stings a lot more than a team who can fill that slot by spending $15m on a free agent. However, that happens in real life too I'm sure, so I can't say it's not realistic.

Anyway, it was more a level of frustration knowing that I now have more holes to fill, that can only be done through trades or some crafty drafting. The whole career ending thing...well, I think some of those are over the top, but is it enough to enact a rule for? Probably more pain than it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X