5th Anniversary Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th Anniversary Team

I'm bored... thought I would try to spark some conversation. Use whatever criteria you want and put together a 5th Anniversary Team based on the first 5 full seasons of the BLB (78-82) plus the 100 games of 83. Yeah.. yeah... I know it's over 5 years, but what else were you doing????

My team:

Catcher -- Malachi Stiver

You could certainly make a good case for Sergio Lumar and I think Lumar may end up with a better full career. But, since '78 Stiver gets the slight edge to me.

First Base -- Harry "Missing Link" Keppel

The most complete player the BLB has seen. Doesn't blow you away with one thing that he does better than everyone else... he does everything great.

Second Base -- Neil Hildebrand

Easily one of the deepest positions over the first 5 seasons with great players having great years. Hildebrand gets the nod, to me, over Nate Bermeo because of Nate's poor '82 season. Hildebrand is good with the stick and the glove and has been consistantly solid.

Shortstop -- Jose Sanchez

The kid gets on base, finds the gaps and does more than most people expect from their everyday SS. Thought his career has been plagued with nagging little injuries, he shows up everyday and gets the job done.

Third Base -- Alberto Grandon

Hard not to give the award to Nicolaus Arce, but the 25 year old Grandon is a special talent that should be gracing the BLB for another decade. Most impressive about Grandon is his growth at the plate in his first 5 seasons... slashing his K's by more than half and raising his on-base percentage by over 50 points.

Outfield -- Ken Cahill - Subaru Hiraki - Nick Latham

If it were a 3rd Anniversary Team, Pete Kellum would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, his last 2+ seasons have taken Pete out of the equation. Cahill, who didn't even make the show until '80,teams with the in his prime Hiraki, and wiley vet Latham to form our rock solid outfield.

Starting Pitcher -- Russ McEvoy

No doubt that many will argue that Teagan Corrigan is the best the BLB has seen. Others could even throw in young guns like Jeff Franklin. But, for my money, no one has been more consistantly outstanding every single year than Russ McEvoy.

Closer -- Vernon Simmonds

Nasty, nasty, nasty. The BLB's premier fireman is practically untouchable. With a career WHIP just north of .9 and an ERA at 1.60, Simmonds may be the most dominant player in the BLB.

Discuss...

Make yours....

Whatever...
    The Great One!

To many rings to count...

I hate Keppel. Always stealing Gremades' thunder. The end.

Comment

Cahill? You must have been smoking something illegal when you made that pick. He might be in the conversation if it were a 3 year deal instead of 5. Both Robbins and Fallon, for instance, have over 300 RBIs more than your man. I guess you don't think much for power hitters and prefer the little Punch and Judy hitters with the sexy batting averages.

Sorry it took me so long to start an argument about this Clay but I've been pretty busy at work lately.

Comment

I certainly considered Robbins... but outside of power... I think that Cahill does everything a little bit better than Robbins.
        The Great One!

Comment

I'd give it a shot, but I'm too new to the league to make accurate assessments of the early years. Most of that list looks good for the last 3 years though

Comment

Can I take credit for Nick Latham? If so, he's my only member of the team.

Casimiro Cabezas has to be right on the cusp of the team contending with Simmonds. All-time leader in saves and he's made the All-Star team every year.
            Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Originally posted by liquidcrash View Post
              Casimiro Cabezas has to be right on the cusp of the team contending with Simmonds. All-time leader in saves and he's made the All-Star team every year.
              Cabezas could have easily been the choice... I just took Simmonds by the slightest.
              The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by JJLinn View Post
                I hate Keppel. Always stealing Gremades' thunder. The end.
                not this year. Gremades has been a beast.

Comment

Working...
                X