Waivers and Waiver Trades Explanation and Procedural Change - Please Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waivers and Waiver Trades Explanation and Procedural Change - Please Read

There have been a few questions about this lately, and to be honest I've been a little bit confused as well. Hopefully this clears things up.

Waivers
    There are two types of waivers in OOTP.
    - Outright waivers: Outright waivers are in effect when you manually move a player into the Waivers section of your transactions screen. This is usually done to get a player off your team's 40 man roster or to demote a player who is out of options. It has nothing to do with waiver trades

- Trade waivers: These are in effect when I (as commish) submit a trade after the July 31st Trade deadline until the end of the Regular Season. Every player can be placed on Revocable Trade waivers once per season (regardless of their Outright waiver status). The 2nd time they are placed on Trade waivers, it is irrevocable.

Waiver Trades
    Players on the 40 man roster can be traded after the July 31st deadline if they clear Trade waivers.

Here are the updated procedures for processing Waiver Trades:
    • Trade Waivers
      • Players not on the 40 Man Roster and draft picks can be traded after the July 31st deadline without having to clear Trade Waivers.
      • Players on the 40 Man Roster can be traded after the July 31st deadline if they clear Trade Waivers.
      • To trade players who are on the 40 Man Roster:
        • DO NOT waive the player in the game.
        • For each player, create a new thread in the Waivers forum stating the player has been placed on Trade Waivers.
        • Teams may claim players in his Trade Waiver thread.
        • Players are on waivers for 48 hours (real time) after the thread is created.
        • If no claims are made during that time, they are free to trade him to any team.
        • If any claims are made in the Trade Waiver thread, the waiving team can negotiate a trade with the team that claimed the player and had the highest priority (Worst record) at that time.
        • If no trade is completed within 48 hours the waiving team can either revoke the waivers or allow the claim to go through and lose him for nothing.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Andrew; 03-24-2008, 11:09 AM.

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
    There have been a few questions about this lately, and to be honest I've been a little bit confused as well. Hopefully this clears things up.

Waivers
    There are two types of waivers in OOTP.
    - Outright waivers: Outright waivers are in effect when you manually move a player into the Waivers section of your transactions screen. This is usually done to get a player off your team's 40 man roster or to demote a player who is out of options. It has nothing to do with waiver trades

- Trade waivers: These are in effect when I (as commish) submit a trade after the July 31st Trade deadline until the end of the Regular Season. Every player can be placed on Revocable Trade waivers once per season (regardless of their Outright waiver status). The 2nd time they are placed on Trade waivers, it is irrevocable.

Waiver Trades
    Players on the 40 man roster can be traded after the July 31st deadline if they clear Trade waivers.

Here are the updated procedures for processing Waiver Trades:
    • Trade Waivers
      • Players not on the 40 Man Roster and draft picks can be traded after the July 31st deadline without having to clear Trade Waivers.
      • Players on the 40 Man Roster can be traded after the July 31st deadline if they clear Trade Waivers.
      • To trade players who are on the 40 Man Roster:
        • DO NOT waive the player in the game.
        • For each player, create a new thread in the Waivers forum stating the player has been placed on Trade Waivers.
        • Teams may claim players in his Trade Waiver thread.
        • Players are on waivers for 48 hours (real time) after the thread is created.
        • If no claims are made during that time, they are free to trade him to any team.
        • If any claims are made in the Trade Waiver thread, the waiving team can negotiate a trade with the team that claimed the player and had the highest priority (Worst record) at that time.
        • If no trade is completed within 48 hours the waiving team can either revoke the waivers or allow the claim to go through and lose him for nothing.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    On the last point. IF they are on Irrevocable, the team that claims the player gets the player?
    WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
    Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
    Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
    BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
    Hall of Famers: 4
    Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
    Stout Sluggers: 2
    New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
    You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

Originally posted by Jistic View Post
      On the last point. IF they are on Irrevocable, the team that claims the player gets the player?
      Correct. The team with the highest priority gets the player.

Comment

Also, just to explain my reasoning a little bit on picking 48 hours as the waiver time. Because the player is never actually waived in game, he doesn't need to wait 14 in game days to clear waivers. I also wanted to make the time independent of our sim schedule so people couldn't manipulate the system by waiving/claiming players right before a sim. If people think the time should be longer or shorter, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          If any claims are made in the Trade Waiver thread, the waiving team can negotiate a trade with the team that claimed the player and had the highest priority (Worst record) at that time.
          This applies to the end of the 48 hour window, correct? So once waived (the first time) nothing can happen until 48 hours from the waiver post.
          BLB
          Los Alamos Amigos
          GM 1982-Present
          Brewmaster Champions - 1993
          Import League Champions - 1993
          Bock Division Champions - 1987, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by spot View Post
            This applies to the end of the 48 hour window, correct? So once waived (the first time) nothing can happen until 48 hours from the waiver post.
            Right, so it would go like this:

1) Player is Waived
            2) 48 Hour window to make claims.
            3a) If claimed, 48 hour window to trade to claiming team.
            3b) If not claimed, can be traded to any team without a time window.

Comment

Unless the team with the worst record makes the claim, then you could "technically" begin immediate negotiations, but the clock wouldn't officially start.
              The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

Is there a limit on the # of players you can have on trade waivers at any given time or only that they can only be put on once and be revoccable (sp?)????
                The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay View Post
                  Is there a limit on the # of players you can have on trade waivers at any given time or only that they can only be put on once and be revoccable (sp?)????
                  No limit on the number of players. Technically, you could put your entire 40 man roster if you wanted, although that might clutter up the forum a little bit.

Comment

If I understand this correctly, we are allowed to designate trade waivers as revocable for any player we want, even if the game would not permit that player to be put on revocable waivers if we tried to do it in game. Is that correct?

Also, if a player who is out of options clears trade waivers that does not allow him to be demoted; he must clear in-game waivers to be demoted. Is that also correct?

Thanks for these clarifications.

Comment

Let me ask this... (sorry for all the questions)... would it be "best practice" if you're thinking about putting in a claim to contact the other team first and see if it's a reasonable thing? That is, unless you're doing it to block a rival contender.

I know waiver trades in the MLB more often than not are used by contenders. Should the lower teams of the league... be using waiver trades to trade between themselves?

Finally, related but not... when does "normal" trading begin again? First day after the Championship game?
                      The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by Riverman View Post
                        If I understand this correctly, we are allowed to designate trade waivers as revocable for any player we want, even if the game would not permit that player to be put on revocable waivers if we tried to do it in game. Is that correct?

Also, if a player who is out of options clears trade waivers that does not allow him to be demoted; he must clear in-game waivers to be demoted. Is that also correct?

Thanks for these clarifications.
                        Yes, those are both correct. The two different types of waivers don't have any impact on the other.

Comment

Let me ask this... (sorry for all the questions)... would it be "best practice" if you're thinking about putting in a claim to contact the other team first and see if it's a reasonable thing? That is, unless you're doing it to block a rival contender.
                          Tricky question. I'd say it depends. In cases where you think common ground can be reached, it definitely makes sense to talk to them beforehand and get the ball rolling on negotiations. On the other hand, if you know the team is desperate to move a player (like I may or may not be with Sanchez) it might make sense to claim the player and force them to deal with you, because you think you can get the player at a reduced rate.

I know waiver trades in the MLB more often than not are used by contenders. Should the lower teams of the league... be using waiver trades to trade between themselves?
                          They are free to do so if they want. In most cases it probably makes more sense to wait until the off-season because it's a little easier to get a deal done, but there's nothing stopping them from doing it now.

Finally, related but not... when does "normal" trading begin again? First day after the Championship game?
                          Yes, 1st day of off-season.

Comment

Working...
                          X