Future Drafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Drafts

First, the draft will be increased from 10 rounds to 15 rounds. I've been told you should have 5 rounds per minor league level. For you math majors, 5*3=15 :D

This will replenish our minors enough so you shouldn't have to worry about losing minor league FA's and having to sign a bunch of scrubs right before the season.

Next, the draft will be held in the forums from now on. Which option would you prefer?

Option 1 - Publish amateurs on Jan 1 and start the draft around the beginning of Spring Training. 24 hour time limit on picks.

Option 2 - Publish amateurs ASAP and draft starts around the Trade Deadline. 24 hour time limit on picks.

Keep in mind that if everyone took the full day the draft would last 300 days. I really want to find a way that allows everyone to control their entire draft. The CPU picks with scouts turned on are questionable at best.

Forums is the better idea. Gives everyone a chance to make the pick they want.

I prefer Option 1, so that the draft order will be determined once the season is over (as opposed to during the season). The time limit should be less than 24 hours though... maybe 6 hours during the day, and 12 hours overnight (or something like that), or 6-12 hours from the time of the most recent pick.

Comment

Option 1

Comment

Option One.

Comment

Originally posted by rubisco43

I prefer Option 1, so that the draft order will be determined once the season is over (as opposed to during the season). The time limit should be less than 24 hours though... maybe 6 hours during the day, and 12 hours overnight (or something like that), or 6-12 hours from the time of the most recent pick.
          The problem with that is I'm not going to be able to make a pick if they can't so it doesn't do any good reducing the limit.

I prefer option 1 as well, just figured I'd offer a couple different ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew
            Originally posted by rubisco43

The problem with that is I'm not going to be able to make a pick if they can't so it doesn't do any good reducing the limit.

I prefer option 1 as well, just figured I'd offer a couple different ones.
            Unless the person has an excuse, then that person forfeits the pick. We can't just sit around waiting for 24 hours.

Or another option would be to implement a 6 (or 12, or something shorter than 24) hours, but a mandatory list of draft rankings by EACH owner... such that if the owner can't make his pick on time, the pick is defaulted to the list provided by the owner.

Comment

The thing is, no matter what we do for draft method there's gonna be problems. Whether it be people not showing up, or submitting picks in a timely matter, and the obligatory "There are more important things than drafting, BLB, etc."

That being said whatever we decide should be firm. Or just let the CPU do all the drafting and eliminate any problems.
              WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
              Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
              Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
              Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
              BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
              Hall of Famers: 4
              Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
              Stout Sluggers: 2
              New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
              You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the 24 hour thing...

I wouldn't be surprised if we got about 10 picks in a day. Atleast.
                Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

I don't think anybody should forfeit there pick if they can't make a selection in the allotted time. This draft will be covering about 3 weeks of real time and things come up. We can't expect everyone to be glued to the computer waiting for their turn.

I think people who select quickly will make up for those who take longer. I also think participation is MUCH stronger right now than the last time we attempted this which will greatly reduce the number of people who dont select in a timely manner.

We also need to consider that we have an owner in England, another in Bahrain and multiple people on the west coast. There's just too many variables to make anything less than a 24 hour time limit reasonable, including my ability to have the CPU select for somebody.

One thing that should help is a policy that if somebody lapses and lets the CPU pick, the CPU will continue to select for them until they send me a list. Basically how an online fantasy draft works. If somebody's not there, it selects for them without waiting... until they are active again.

Comment

I like that. Firm but fair.
                    WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
                    Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
                    Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
                    Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
                    BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
                    Hall of Famers: 4
                    Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
                    Stout Sluggers: 2
                    New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
                    You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

Who is in Bahrain?

Comment

Originally posted by Sully
                        Who is in Bahrain?
                        HrfdWhale is there right now. Will be back for next years draft but the point is people aren't all in the same timezone.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Option one works for me.
                            Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Originally posted by Sully
                              Who is in Bahrain?
                              As Andrew stated, I am over here for work for about 5 weeks, so I am 8 hours ahead of EST, basically making it impossible for me to be awake for the draft at 5am over here. So basically all he means is that you never know if someone will be in my situation and just have no possible way of making a draft. Technically I didn't even really have enough time to make a good draft sheet to give him.

So, with that said, option 1 is really all that makes sense. And 24 hours is fine. As far as I'm concerned, after 5 rounds we should just sim the thing anyway so we don't waste our lives selecting 20-25 rated people.

Comment

Working...
                              X