Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awards

Figured this was more a league issue than something that belonged in awards forum....but curious why we have the awards we have? I'd personally like to see a re-vamp of our award system for the following:

- Change Stout Slugger to the person who has the highest BA

- Add MVP

- Add Silver Slugger

Last one I wouldn't argue for a lot (though it would be cool to have) but I'd really like to see Stout Slugger changed. I think the guy with the highest BA in each league deserves an award...right now it's just best all-around hitter.
    Dallas Snappers

Pilsner Champs: 1984, 1986, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998
    DL Wild card: 1992

I like the idea of adding an MVP award to each league.

"Select Player of the Year"
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Re: Awards

Originally posted by jmw1137
      Figured this was more a league issue than something that belonged in awards forum....but curious why we have the awards we have? I'd personally like to see a re-vamp of our award system for the following:

- Change Stout Slugger to the person who has the highest BA

- Add MVP

- Add Silver Slugger

Last one I wouldn't argue for a lot (though it would be cool to have) but I'd really like to see Stout Slugger changed. I think the guy with the highest BA in each league deserves an award...right now it's just best all-around hitter.
      You want 2, potentially 3 batting awards? I like it the way it is. 1 batting, 1 pitching awards.

Comment

The best BA is typically referred to as the League's Batting Champion. No need to enshrine it further. Also, who wants another 2 awards to vote for???

Comment

I don't like the idea of multiple hitting awards. As far as MVP, I think it would probably just go to either the Stout Slugger or Pale Ale Pitcher, so I don't really see a reason to add it.

Comment

fwiw, I don't think we need to change the awards or add any.

Comment

Originally posted by Wessinmouse
              fwiw, I don't think we need to change the awards or add any.
              Ditto.

Comment

I like it the way it is.
                WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
                Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
                Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
                Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
                BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
                Hall of Famers: 4
                Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
                Stout Sluggers: 2
                New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
                You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

I'd really like to see a "Best Mustache" award.
                  SIN CITY GAMBLERS since 1990
                  NEW ORLEANS DUKES since 1993
                  1998 BLB Champions
                  2000 BLB Champions

Originally posted by umd
                  Everyone simmer down. I'm the moron here.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew
                    I don't like the idea of multiple hitting awards. As far as MVP, I think it would probably just go to either the Stout Slugger or Pale Ale Pitcher, so I don't really see a reason to add it.
                    If we changed Stout Slugger to highest BA, no voting, then I think MVP would go to someone else. Because more than likely highest BA isn't also pounding out HRs and batting in tons of runs. Also, MVP usually also goes to a team that goes to playoffs or does well....the guy with highest BA might be on the worst team in the league.

Being a huge baseball fan, I find it very weird that we're not rewarding the player with the highest BA. Plus, we've basically copied all the other MLB awards (except the reliever award...I'm not aware of an MLB award like that) so why not award a batting champion?
                    Dallas Snappers

Comment

Originally posted by jmw1137
                      Originally posted by Andrew
                      If we changed Stout Slugger to highest BA, no voting, then I think MVP would go to someone else. Because more than likely highest BA isn't also pounding out HRs and batting in tons of runs. Also, MVP usually also goes to a team that goes to playoffs or does well....the guy with highest BA might be on the worst team in the league.

Being a huge baseball fan, I find it very weird that we're not rewarding the player with the highest BA. Plus, we've basically copied all the other MLB awards (except the reliever award...I'm not aware of an MLB award like that) so why not award a batting champion?
                      There's the Rolaids Relief Man for best relief pitcher. I don't think there's an actual "award" for highest BA in the real MLB.. just a recognition from everyone that Player X had the highest BA... just like there's no real award for having the lowest ERA in the league either. Again, I'm really not in favor of having multiple hitting and pitching awards, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by rubisco43
                        There's the Rolaids Relief Man for best relief pitcher. I don't think there's an actual "award" for highest BA in the real MLB.. just a recognition from everyone that Player X had the highest BA... just like there's no real award for having the lowest ERA in the league either. Again, I'm really not in favor of having multiple hitting and pitching awards, but that's just me.
                        Not sure if the 'batting champion' is an award or not since it's not voted on but it is something that's recognized.
                        Dallas Snappers

Comment

Maybe we could designate a time each season to gather in the league chatroom, Andrew could post the DL and IL player with the highest BA and we could all ooh and ahhh at how high his average is?

Then maybe, if we coordinate it well enough, using FedEx or DHL or something, there can be cake and ice cream for all!

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Wessinmouse
                            Maybe we could designate a time each season to gather in the league chatroom, Andrew could post the DL and IL player with the highest BA and we could all ooh and ahhh at how high his average is?

Then maybe, if we coordinate it well enough, using FedEx or DHL or something, there can be cake and ice cream for all!

Just a thought.
                            Good idea smartass.
                            Dallas Snappers

Comment

I keeed, I keeeed!

Comment

Working...
                              X