Pitching anomaly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching anomaly

This is one of the weirdest things I've seen yet from OOTP. John Jackson, who is currently 3rd in AAA in ERA has been horrible in the BLB but is a force to be reckoned with in AAA. Check out these numbers:

- 1979 AAA: 12-7 ; 3.32 ERA ; 116 K

- 1979 BLB: 0-11 ; 13.86 ERA ; 29K

- 1980 AAA: 4-1 ; 1.79 ERA ; 41K

My scouts don't think too highly of him (and he sucks in BLB) so I guess he'll be a career minor leaguer, which I guess is ok, but for tearing it up in AAA you'd think he could squeeze out more than 1 win in the BLB (he did get 1 win in 1978, but started 7 games and went 1-6 with a 6.81 ERA).

I could see him being this bad in the BLB if he was great in A but nothing else but great in AAA and horrible in BLB is pretty funny.

http://ootp.oldredboat.com/news/html...layer_130.html
    Dallas Snappers

Pilsner Champs: 1984, 1986, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998
    DL Wild card: 1992

It seems to me that is one of the things that doesn't quite work right with OOTP - there is too much of a drop off in performance for many of the players from one level to the next. I've noticed it in quite a few instances with both pitchers and hitters.

I'm surprised Jackson lasted long enough at the BLB level to go 0-11 with a 13.86 ERA though. I know I would have been at least tempted to try someone else before it came to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverman
      It seems to me that is one of the things that doesn't quite work right with OOTP - there is too much of a drop off in performance for many of the players from one level to the next. I've noticed it in quite a few instances with both pitchers and hitters.

I'm surprised Jackson lasted long enough at the BLB level to go 0-11 with a 13.86 ERA though. I know I would have been at least tempted to try someone else before it came to that.
      I agree--and from what I've seen, the biggest difference is from AAA to BLB.

As far as leaving him up with 0-11, I needed a SP and I didn't want to bring up any of my other SPs and waste options and/or possibly hurt their ratings (I've read on the OOTP forums that bringing up players too early can actually lower their potential). So, I kept waiting it out, hoping he would get better, 'cause I knew he was doing well in AAA.
      Dallas Snappers

Comment

See....and you ruined him :)

Just kidding...I've had this happen any number of times in offline leagues. Most recently, the guy was named Paco Betan. He played AAA ball well for 3 seasons...ERA around 2.80 to 3.30 for those 3 seasons. He rated poorly, but continued to do well. There was an injury and I moved him up. He lasted for a while, but still left the big leagues with a 6.+ ERA.

Just couldn't seem to keep batters off the bases...

Comment

And it continues...it's like he's a completely different player in AAA. Here's his current AAA numbers:

11-1, 1.96 ERA & 92Ks

I wish he could pitch like this in the BLB....instead of racking up an 0-11 record. I guess he's earning his $2.7 million...in AAA!
          Dallas Snappers

Comment

Working...
          X