Mid-Season Grades (For yourself)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Season Grades (For yourself)

What kind of a grade would you give your team/organization for the season?

Personally, I thought I had a really good chance of competing in the Stout this year. I traded for one of the best hitters in the DL in John Brown, added a new starting catcher in Frank McGee, and added three new pitchers from the rule V draft. Last year I was competing the entire season until injuries hit in the 2nd half and I lost two of my best hitters for majority of the summer.

I thought I would finish in the 85-95 win range, but I am actually on pace for a sub .500 season.

I would give my team a D+. A lot of players have underperformed, I have had a large ammount of injuries, and I am really not in any realistic position to compete this season.

As far as an organizational grade, I would give myself a B. Aside from not having a good shot at the playoffs, I feel like my franchise is pointed in the right direction. I have made a bunch of trades to better my franchise for the long run, and I think I did the best thing in doing so. Also, my AAA team is first, and my AA is in first too. My A team was in first until the drafted players were added, and now I am in third. Also, I feel I did very well in the draft, even after it went onto auto.

What about you guys?[/b]
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

thought I'd compete and I am. hitting has been dismal, and pitching has been performing better than expected. Overall, A-/B+.

Comment

There's not much more I could ask for so far, we're playing much better than I expected. The pitching has been phenomenal, and while the hitting hasn't been great, it has been timely. I'm hoping the additions of Latham and Pugh will make us one of the better hitting teams in the league. For the team, I'd give them an A. For me as a GM, I've made some mistakes in trades (Reyes) but hopefully the Latham deal works out. So I'll say I get a B.

Still, a lot of baseball left to be played and the races are far from over.
      Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

My roster was mostly unchanged from last years championship team, so I definitely expected good things.

I was very disappointed with my hitting, which led the DL last year. We're scoring 1.2 fewer runs a game than we did in 1979. However, with the acquisition of Bill Johnson, things are coming around.

The only major change to my pitching staff was adding Frank Kelly to my bullpen from my minor league system. He has definitely responded to become one of my best relievers. My pitching as a whole is giving up 0.4 fewer runs a game than last year. I'm surprised how consistent this group has been, as I didn't think they were anything spectacular.

My division has been tougher than I expected, but I still like my chances. I think I have the most balanced team out of the contenders right now. Looking at the PYT records, I should have about a 6 game lead so if those numbers start to even out, I'll be in good shape.

Comment

I'm hovering around average for grades. My team has responded pretty well this year. I was dealt a young team, but with good potential. I've moved up some guys (Donegan, Bender) who have responded really well. THe Whalers rank 3rd or 4th in the league with most Offensive categories.

The worst part has been my bullpen. A lot of underachievers so far, great ratings, bad performance. This has hopefully changed with the latest two trades. Speaking of which, I've done decent in trading, but not great. I've lost such guys as Pugh, Dan Jones, and MacKnight, with Jones and MacKnight doing great. However Kitamura and Shanan have been better than expected.

I'm happy to be in the division race, but I do believe the Guides have the most balanced team. However I can't count the amount of times my team has given away a game in innings 7-9, so perhaps if the bullpen is in order now, we can keep pace in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by HrfdWhale
            However Kitamura and Shanan have been better than expected.
            I expected Kitamura to be good, I just didn't have a everyday spot for him. Plus, in the trade I got Dave Wilde, SP. The 21-year old, in combined AAA-AA, in 11 starts, he is 8-2, with a 1.80 ERA.

As for Shanan, wow. I knew he had the ability to hit for power, but 16 HRs in 69 games? No way. He hit 1 HR in 100 at bats, and he has 16 for you in 200. That deal has turned out great for you.

For me, I got SP Tobias Lopez, 25, who has played well at AA and AAA. But catcher Frank McGee has been poor. He his hitting .234 when he hit nearly .300 last year. I guess he is playing better as of late, but I expected big things from him.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
              As for Shanan, wow. I knew he had the ability to hit for power, but 16 HRs in 69 games? No way. He hit 1 HR in 100 at bats, and he has 16 for you in 200. That deal has turned out great for you.
              *cough* Steroids *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew
                *cough* Steroids *cough*
                We are getting closer to that era.

And, I play in a hitters park.

Comment

Well I knew my team was going to suck. My pitching staff was awful and Watson gets a solid F. Knowing this, my goal was to beef up my farm system so that the future looked a little brighter. I started the season in the bottom five farm systems and am now ranked #6.... so, I think I've done pretty well so far. Hopefully I can trade away a couple more veterans before the deadline and put myself in a position to field a winning team in a season or two....or three.

Comment

Originally posted by BradleyB
                    Well I knew my team was going to suck. My pitching staff was awful and Watson gets a solid F. Knowing this, my goal was to beef up my farm system so that the future looked a little brighter. I started the season in the bottom five farm systems and am now ranked #6.... so, I think I've done pretty well so far. Hopefully I can trade away a couple more veterans before the deadline and put myself in a position to field a winning team in a season or two....or three.
                    You should trade Taracena, Suarer, Fyson, and Kishita, ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by BradleyB
                      You should trade Taracena, Suarer, Fyson, and Kishita, ASAP.

that's the plan.

Comment

I give myself a Incomplete. I have to see how these trades for Magallan and Peyton work out.

Comment

My team? They get a very good grade. We've endured some big injuries so far. I keep thinking that I have to make a move cuz I'm 3 games out. Then I realize we have a dam .613 winning percentage. Second best record in the league. I can't help I'm in the division from hell.

I'm also realizing that with injuries depth is becoming much more important. That being said there is wisdom in standing pat. Which is what we've done.

I keep thinking that having Hoover healthy would've been worth the 3 games back we are. So right now I'd have to give my big league club an A.

Granted expectations are high when you go to the big show both years. Even if we are the Buffalo Bills.
                          WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
                          Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
                          Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
                          Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
                          BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
                          Hall of Famers: 4
                          Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
                          Stout Sluggers: 2
                          New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
                          You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

I'd have to say a C+/B-. My team isn't doing that great, but I managed to trade for some very good young talent, and sign another talented young player. I've also taken one of the worst minor league systems in the league up to #3. I'm definitely happy with what I've done so far.

Comment

I've got to go with a B overall...perhaps an A given what I had to work with.

I believe that my draft was very good for the future...but I'm not seeing the fruits just yet. Next season should be better for my hitting as I have some guys ready to come up(and likely will for September)

I also weeded out a lot of the junk and have developed some almost there talent. I'm missing the big guns though...only 2 steady starters all year and the lack of depth is showing with 3 major injuries.

Needless to say, I am looking to the future to be the real judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X