Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Colonials Press Release - 8/23/93

LINK

WILLIAMSBURG, VA -- It was with heavy hearts today and after weeks of internal deliberation that the Shaver Holdings and Investments Team announced that on Saturday, August 29, 1993, Virginia Colonial Superstar Dale O'Hegarty will play his last game for the two-time defending Brewmaster's Cup Champions.

O'Hegarty, a seven time All-Star and 1983 Glove Wizard winner, was a 5th Round Draft Pick in 1981 by the Los Lunas organization. He was traded, along with current Carolina Tobs IF Joshua Poling, to the Colonials in 1983 in exchange for Joe Sargentini and CASH considerations. The 33 year old will remain in the Stout Division, joining the Washington Bats organization.

From the Owner: "Dale represents everything I wanted to do with this team and organization when I bought it. I'm a huge fan of his game. His work ethic. And the man that he is. This was an extremely tough decision. However, we feel like our fans deserve the best opportunity to win the Cup every season. In today's CAP era, we feel that this move gives us our best opportunity. We will miss Dale. We wish him the best in D.C. And we'll see him in the playoffs."

While management refused to speculate what the next steps in this deal were, sources close to the organization believe that this move opens the door for two significant changes. First, most believe this will free up the CAP room necessary to bring back Mel Woodbury. With the Colonials thin crop of OF prospects in the high minors, a few more seasons from the perennial Stout Slugger candidate could be a must. We would also anticipate the opening at 2B being filled by AAA Detroit's Anastasio Colon - who just 4 weeks ago was named by Baseball America as the #1 Prospect in the BLB.
    The Great One!

To many rings to count...

This is like Jeter to the Mets. Unthinkable.
    Charlotte Knights - OSFL
    Syracuse Slammers - BLB
    South America - 1984 WBC Runner Up

Comment

Eeesh, what a sellout!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
        This is like Jeter to the Mets. Unthinkable.
        Not looking forward to seeing him in the BLB worst uniform, but were about the rings.
        The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by chippered View Post
          Eeesh, what a sellout!
          You must be talking about Pat.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
          - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
          - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
          - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

Originally posted by elprez98 View Post
            You must be talking about Pat.
            I can't believe no one else in the I'll playoff race got in in front of Pat.
            The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay View Post
              I honestly thought the only reason he claimed him was to block the Bandits. Pat, you need to move back to the harsh, cold, Pacific Northwest. The island is making you soft.

Completely misjudged that Judist.

- Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16

Comment

If I wasn't busy all weekend I would have. Unless there is a lot more in this trade for DC we'll call this Bailout 2.

Comment

Obviously you're already aware, but I looked hard and long (thats what she said) at O'Hegarty but in the end, couldn't pull the trigger considering how well Dusty Campbell and Wally Eden have hit this year. When (if) Carbajal is healthy in 94, he can play 2nd or SS at a gold glove level which kinda makes O'Hegarty at 16+ mill pretty expensive for possibly only a slight upgrade.
                  Charlotte Knights - OSFL
                  Syracuse Slammers - BLB
                  South America - 1984 WBC Runner Up

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    If I wasn't busy all weekend I would have. Unless there is a lot more in this trade for DC we'll call this Bailout 2.
                    Nope. Not a trade. He's going for free. The only bailout is these DL teams that are taking Pats trash for nothing.
                    The Great One!

Comment

Nope. Not a trade. He's going for free. The only bailout is these DL teams that are taking Pats trash for nothing.
                      Interesting development to say the least. I don't really see Dale being a big help this year, he is going to be pissed. However, I can see it from Washington's side. He can be a stop gap until his young guys mature or knowing Pat, he'll try probably just trade him to try and get something for nothing. Safe gamble, really.

Although, freeing up ~19 million for VA to sign the league's best player EVER does sound a bit, bailoutish.

Comment

Originally posted by elprez98 View Post
                        Interesting development to say the least. I don't really see Dale being a big help this year, he is going to be pissed. However, I can see it from Washington's side. He can be a stop gap until his young guys mature or knowing Pat, he'll try probably just trade him to try and get something for nothing. Safe gamble, really.

Although, freeing up ~19 million for VA to sign the league's best player EVER does sound a bit, bailoutish.
                        But a bailout would imply prior discussion. Pat and I didn't speak until the 48 hours expired. Plus, I said right in the thread he was going. Why someone didn't jump in just for the attendence boost.

The two teams that did contact me on a deal... I was willing to send CASH with him but required a very high pick back so that it wouldn't be a bailout.

To me, whatever LAM's motivation for claiming him was (assume to block me from making a deal) set the wheels in motion and, IMO, ended up hurting his playoff run because I now think DC is a better team.
                        The Great One!

Comment

To me, whatever LAM's motivation for claiming him was (assume to block me from making a deal) set the wheels in motion and, IMO, ended up hurting his playoff run because I now think DC is a better team.
                          DC still has to fight to even get in right now. I'd say Wildcard front runner...maybe.
                          PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
                          Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
                          DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
                          Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
                          Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Originally posted by funclown View Post
                            DC still has to fight to even get in right now. I'd say Wildcard front runner...maybe.
                            With the Tucker+Abbott injuries, he definitely has his work cut out for him.

Comment

I didn't say it made him A or THE team to beat
                              The Great One!

Comment

Working...
                              X