Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Carolina Tobs Preview

The Starters

C- Eron Deleon- With Rod Phillips gone, the 1992 #1 overall pick steps into the starting role. “Pistol” projects to be the complete package at the plate, but it might take him some time to figure everything out.

1B- Ismael Reyes- 1994 was a coming out party for Reyes, as he hit .265 with 37 HRs and 122 RBI. Reyes looks like he’s becoming one of the premier power hitters in the BLB and he’ll be counted on to be a run-producing, extra base hit machine (he added 44 doubles and 9 triples as well in 94).

2B- Adrian Romero- The Tobs took Romero with the 10<sup>th</sup> overall pick in the 1990 draft and he’s become a dependable second baseman through the first two seasons of his career. Romero hit .281 last season but has shown flashes that he’s capable of doing more than that, while adding plenty of gap power and solid glove work.

3B- Masaoki Matsumoto- While he doesn’t have the power that some teams might desire from the third base position, Matsumoto has terrific contact ability and is one of the toughest hitters to strike out in the league.

SS Howard Haydon- Did a decent job as the starting SS last season, showing some good patience. Still performed respectably in the field. He’s the #8 hitter.

LF- Jose Guzman- Carolina’s biggest free agent acquisition. At 37 years old, some people might believe that Guzman’s best days are behind him, but Carolina will be counting on him to bolster the middle of their lineup. If he’s got something left, Guzman could be one of the biggest FA signings of the offseason.

CF- Pat Faulkner- Another second year player, Faulkner will be the starting centerfielder on most days. He’s pretty fast, has a good glove and Carolina’s scouts think he should hit, particularly against righties.

RF- Al Hamilton- The much-hyped outfielder is looking to be one of the breakthrough stars of the 1995 season. The consensus around the league is that Hamilton could be a legitimate star, combining great contact ability with plenty of power and a fantastic eye. He might not get there in 1995, but the future looks bright for Hamilton.

The Bench

C- Artie Ward- A minor FA acquisition to give the team a backup catcher. He’s struggled at the plate in recent seasons, but Ward is still very good defensively and will be counted on when Deleon needs a day off.

UT- Joe Reyes- Super utility man capable of playing any position on the infield and can also play a corner outfield spot in a pinch. Joe Reyes gives the Tobs a lot of flexibility. There is no word yet about any possible jersey retirement ceremonies.

OF- Dana Scott- The odd man out in Carolina’s OF, but Scott will still see plenty of platoon duty, particularly against left-handed pitchers. Scott blasted 22 HRs and drove in 90 runs in 1994.

OF- Pete Foster- Slick fielding outfield reserve. Foster won the DWI at CF in 1993 and has made strides at the plate.

The Rotation

Raul Frayo- The new “ace” of the staff came over from Los Alamos in exchange for Phillips. Frayo went 12-8 with the Bandits last season, posting an ERA of 3.49 and a 1.17 WHIP.

Alex Rivas- After being picked up from Syracuse early in the 1994 campaign, Rivas won 11 games as a Tob in his debut season with a 3.07 ERA. He’s not a strikeout pitcher, but good movement and exceptional control usually allow Rivas to work efficiently and effectively.

Doug Howe- Perhaps the biggest disappointment from last season in Carolina, Howe needs to step up this season. Team scouts have always liked him and believe that he’s capable of being a solid #3 starter.

Val Aparicio- A top pitching prospect selected fifth overall in 1991, Aparicio had little trouble at any level of the minors and showed a lot of promise in the BLB as a rookie.

Hector Perez- 1994 was a rough season for Perez and he needs to bounce back this season. He’s on a short leash. Perez has been on Carolina’s BLB squad since 1988, making him the longest tenured member of the team.

The Bullpen

Phil Mcswain- The closer. Saved 31 games in his first season in Carolina with a 2.22 ERA. A good guy to have in the late innings.

Turi Soto- Coming off a career year, Soto has turned himself into a steady presence for the Carolina bullpen.

Adrian Iturriaga- A Rule 5 pick from Los Alamos in 1992, Iturriaga needed some time to become BLB ready. He showed flashes in his brief stint in the big league last season. If one of the starters falters or there are injuries, Iturriaga will get the first shot.

Don Blanche- Entering his second season in Carolina. Blanche has good stuff and movement on his pitches, but has struggled with control.

Trevor Broomfield- A scrapheap pickup last May. Broomfield threw 105 solid innings as a swingman. Not overpowering by any means, but has solid control.

Jody Scoley- The former 11<sup>th</sup> overall pick hasn’t lived up to the team’s expectations. Scoley has suffered several major arm injuries, including a torn ulnar ligament that ended his 1994 season in June. Just hoping to stay healthy.

Noel Botiglieri- He was awful last season, in practically every role that he was put in. Here’s hoping for a better season in 95.

The Expectations

For the past few seasons, Carolina has been building a foundation that they hope will bring sustainable success to Raleigh. There’s a lot to like in young guys like Deleon, Hamilton, Reyes and Aparicio, but growing pains could still occur in the near future. Carolina finished second in the IL in runs scored in 1994, and there’s no reason to believe they can’t score plenty of runs again this season. However, the Tobs gave up the third most runs in the IL last season, and most of the blame rested on the starting rotation. Frayo should help, but it’s still a staff lacking a true ace. The bullpen will need to have another solid year to help the cause.

If things break well in the pitching staff, Carolina could be in contention at the top of the Bock Division and provide cannon fodder for the Colonials in round one of the playoffs. If not, then this team will find its comfortable spot in last place for the fifth consecutive season.
    Washington Bats, 2013-

So, I pretty much stole Brad's format. And it's long-winded and poorly written. But other than that, I think this is top-notch stuff.
    Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Man. I think you're loaded. I don't want to say you've done it quietly, because everyone's seen your system for so long, but all of a sudden they're all here. I definitely think you can contend.
      Charlotte Knights - OSFL
      Syracuse Slammers - BLB
      South America - 1984 WBC Runner Up

Comment

May be a little too green in a few areas with the young guys, but it looks like it's finally coming together for you in Carolina. As for stealing the format, no worries there since it's not exactly earth shattering in structure.
        Philly Freedom
        Owner & GM: 1987 - Pres.
        Porter Div. Champs (Mbr '84-'15): 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011
        Stout Div. Champs (Mbr '78-'83 & '16-present): 2016, 2017
        IL Wild Card Winner: 1987, 2013, 2018, 2019
        Import League Champs: 1984, 2010, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          Man. I think you're loaded. I don't want to say you've done it quietly, because everyone's seen your system for so long, but all of a sudden they're all here. I definitely think you can contend.
          Loaded might be a stretch, but I like my lineup. I could really use a SS, but those aren't exactly easy to come by. The other 7 guys I'm more than happy to have. I'm only at $50 million on the payroll, so I've got some wiggle room for the time being.

This is pretty much the end of my first wave of prospects making it to the big leagues, at least the top end. I like to think that the top prospects at the A-level might be more talented than this group, but only time will tell.

Originally posted by BradZ View Post
          May be a little too green in a few areas with the young guys, but it looks like it's finally coming together for you in Carolina. As for stealing the format, no worries there since it's not exactly earth shattering in structure.
          We've got some spots where we're counting on the youngsters. I think Hamilton is ready, and I've said it before so many times that I've surely jinxed him now. Deleon might struggle out of the gates. It would really help if Aparicio put it together this year.

Also, don't sell yourself short. The format is a work of sheer genius.
          Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Working...
          X