This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Newbies Campus

Well I just bought the game 2 days ago, and today I had my first real time with the OOTP, and I have to say that I feel overwhelming with the amount of information and screens that the game has. I guess that is going to be one of the better investments like BBCF and FOF has been since nowadays, I still enjoying this game and canīt wait to learn more about Baseball.

Seeing how deep this game is, I would like to know as a Baseball newbie, cause I saw some games in the TV but just having notice about "Ball", "Strike", "Run", "Home-run", "Steal the base", "Throw to the base"... As you see basic stuff.

I would like of course to learn more in order to start to dig into the OOTP and eventually try to be competitive when I get my franchise in the BLB....

Any help around if you have some time during the weekend? I will dedicate my time to read the on-line guide of course... But I would like to know the first word...

"ERA" why is it important? Is important for Offense or Defense?? Is it good to have an high rate or low rate? Many thanks! All the help will be more than appreciate!

In exchange if you want to know anything about American Football I will share my knowledge as well!
    Miami Sharks (BLB)
    * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
    * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Soccer question:

Why won't they make the goal area 3ft higher and 6ft wider to allow for more scoring?

More importantly, why can't you pick up the ball and run with it?
    PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
    Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
    DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
    Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
    Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkn20 View Post
      "ERA" why is it important? Is important for Offense or Defense?? Is it good to have an high rate or low rate? Many thanks! All the help will be more than appreciate!
      It's mostly for measuring pitching. Specifically, it roughly equates to how many runs a pitcher is responsible for surrendering over a nine-inning period, so a lower ERA is better.

It's not by any means a perfect stat. It does give you a ballpark idea as to whether a pitcher has been good or bad.
      Maine Guides
      General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
      Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
      Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
      Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
      8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
      30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
        It's mostly for measuring pitching. Specifically, it roughly equates to how many runs a pitcher is responsible for surrendering over a nine-inning period, so a lower ERA is better.

It's not by any means a perfect stat. It does give you a ballpark idea as to whether a pitcher has been good or bad.
        Cool!! Just taking the wikipedia to learn the basic stuff... But I guess there is better pages to do this :) Any recommendations?
        Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Originally posted by funclown View Post
          Soccer question:

Why won't they make the goal area 3ft higher and 6ft wider to allow for more scoring?

More importantly, why can't you pick up the ball and run with it?
          Cause you would have to have Superman (before the accident) as a Goalkeeper and was only one S... and it was not fair for the rest of the teams, wasn't it?
          Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Cool!! Just taking the wikipedia to learn the basic stuff... But I guess there is better pages to do this :) Any recommendations?
            Hard to say. I've been following baseball since I was six years old, so I wouldn't really be able to recommend where to start now.

Maybe a Baseball for Dummies or a similar book?
            Maine Guides
            General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
            Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
            Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
            Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
            8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
            30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
              Hard to say. I've been following baseball since I was six years old, so I wouldn't really be able to recommend where to start now.

Maybe a Baseball for Dummies or a similar book?
              Maybe take a Delorian and comeback to my childhood, however in Spain we didn't have that anyway so... Maybe a better channel selection?? :)

Good tip I will start from your recommendation. Thanks man.
              Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

My advice is to read articles. If you can find old articles by Rob Neyer called Rumblings and Grumblings you'll get a mix of historical facts, the current (at the time) events of baseball using stats to explain performance mixed in with some comedy.

If you want to get really really into it then I couldn't recommend Bill James Historical Abstracts enough. That book will break down players and explain what made them great or not so great. It will help you understand the importance of certain statistics and their value. But beware this is intensely deep and could potentially be too much too soon.

You also have us. So ask away. Also funclown is crazy but he is excited you're here because it means we might have expansion. Funclown loves expansion.

sent from my mobile device
                Denver Bulls

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos View Post
                  My advice is to read articles. If you can find old articles by Rob Neyer called Rumblings and Grumblings you'll get a mix of historical facts, the current (at the time) events of baseball using stats to explain performance mixed in with some comedy.

If you want to get really really into it then I couldn't recommend Bill James Historical Abstracts enough. That book will break down players and explain what made them great or not so great. It will help you understand the importance of certain statistics and their value. But beware this is intensely deep and could potentially be too much too soon.

You also have us. So ask away. Also funclown is crazy but he is excited you're here because it means we might have expansion. Funclown loves expansion.

sent from my mobile device
                  Actually, having played with Shark in the NCFA and Funclown here, they're probably the same person like Pat and Mwetts...
                  Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
                  Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
                  IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
                  Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
                  Last Call '08 (Manning)
                  New Brew '08 (Pulido)
                  Desert Legends
                  #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Shark is crazy. Started out learning football and FOF. Won his first championship this year. Very devoted owner and student of the game.

Comment

Shark, have you always lived in Spain?

This might help too - http://www.howbaseballworks.com/
                      Toronto Canadians - 2004-
                      Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2022
                      Domestic League Champions: 2021, 2022
                      Ale Division Champions: 2021, 2022
                      DL Wildcard: 2019, 2020

Davenport Brawlers - 1988 to 1998
                      Bock Division Champions: 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1995

Comment

Last year when I was in the UK and looking for a deal on MLB.TV, I came across the website below which is used by Brits who want to get into the MLB.

http://www.baseballgb.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Spear View Post
                          Shark, have you always lived in Spain?

This might help too - http://www.howbaseballworks.com/
                          Yes Sir, I was living there until April of tge last year, now I am based in England for work purpouses!! Thanks for both links!

Thanks for all the help!! It will be an interesting weekend learning a new sport!

Keep going!!
                          Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Shark is crazy. Started out learning football and FOF. Won his first championship this year. Very devoted owner and student of the game.
                            Thanks Matty!
                            Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Yes Sir, I was living there until April of tge last year, now I am based in England for work purpouses!! Thanks for both links!

Thanks for all the help!! It will be an interesting weekend learning a new sport!

Keep going!!
                              Cool. Where in England? I'm there till May-June.

Comment

Working...
                              X