• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick IL Wild Card Preview

Quick IL Wild Card Preview

Washington Bats (87-76)

Baltimore Bulldogs (87-76)

Projected Pitching Matchup: Al Moon (15-10, 3.92, 1.25) vs. Chang-weon Kang (11-14, 3.39, 1.30)

In the off-season the Bats gave Moon a $55,000,000 contract for situations just like this. However, in five starts against the Bulldogs, Moon is 1-2, with a 5.27 ERA and 1.63 WHIP. Kang is projected to get the call despite a pedestrian 0-2, with a 4.50 ERA and 1.09 WHIP against the Bats this season. However, his most recent start against them was 9/27 where Kang threw a complete game giving up just 5 H, 2 R, BB and 13 K.

Players to Watch: 2B Johnny Lopez (WAS) and OF J.J. Meyers (BAL)

Lopez missed the previous 10 weeks with a fractured wrist before making his return in the 10/5 Lonnie Coleman game against Batavia. He went 0/3 with a strikeout from the leadoff spot. He's going to be counted on again in that spot and to play solid defense at 2B despite considerable rust. A lot of pressure on the 24-year-old.

Meyers came out of nowhere to give Baltimore a late season charge to the playoffs. The 27-year-old rookie hit .336 with a .988 OPS in 50 games. However, only 30 of those games were starts and he hit considerably worse on the road (.265, .757 OPS). The Bulldogs hope he can find some of that magic down the road in DC.

Prediction: Washington 4, Baltimore 3

The new Stout rivals played 21 head-to-head games with the Bats winning 11. These two clubs are very evenly matched with the Bats having the better staff and batters, and Bulldogs the edge in bullpen and defense. The most telling stat is their home/road splits where Washington is 50-32 at home (.610) and Baltimore is 38-43 on the road (.469).

Upsets happen every year in the BLB and I wouldn't really even call a Bulldogs win an upset. These game could go either way. With the superior bullpen, if the Bulldogs can keep it close and into extras, I think they can get the road win. However, I think the veteran Moon and home field advantage prove to be the difference.
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Anything can happen in one game.

That being said, I lean Washington here.

Washington had the league's fourth best offense, while Baltimore finished 7th and is missing J.J. Caplan.
    Maine Guides
    General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
    Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
    Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
    Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
    8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
    30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Quick DL Wild Card Preview

Pittsburgh Millers (95-67)

Dallas Sharks (92-70)

Projected Pitching Matchup: Todd Taylor (16-8, 3.20, 1.28) and David Arce (13-10, 2.61, .97 WHIP)

Huge storyline. Taylor was one of the off-season headlines when he was traded from Baltimore to be the ace in Pittsburgh. He was exactly what GM Mike had in mind, leading the team in wins, innings, strikeouts, WHIP, WAR, FIP and had the lowest walks. Arce returned to Dallas in Free-Agencyby signing a 4-year $77,000,000 deal to take on a similar role with the Sharks. The 34-year-old responded with his best season in nearly a decade. Arce could have revenge on his mind after the Millers sent him to Denver just two seasons ago after a one-year audition.

Players to Watch: C Abraham Santana (PIT) and OF Willie Salazar (DAL)

Santana is one of the best two-way players in the entire BLB and his experience/leadership will be called upon in this do or die match-up. Santana lead the Millers in numerous statistical categories despite missing three weeks with a bruised wrist. His DWI-level defense will be called upon calling the game and keeping the Sharks honest on the base paths, where they were 3rd in the DL in steals.

Salazar turned 22 in August but is going to need a good showing to keep the dream season alive. Ironically, he made his BLB debut in June against Pittsburgh and went on to hit .318 with a .874 OPS in 98 games. Very impressive when you consider his age and the park he plays in. In two games against the Millers, he hit .571 with a 1.339 OPS.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 1, Dallas 2

These two teams couldn't be more different. The Millers are 4th in the DL in runs, 6th in runs allowed and 12th in defense. The Sharks are 9th in the IL in runs, 1st in runs allowed and 1st in defense.

Ironically, these teams swapped 1B mid-season, David Gamboa for Jamie Monson. Even more ironic, if these are the pitching match-ups, neither lefthanded will be starting in the game. Maybe a late game pinch-hit appearance could prove the difference?

The telling stats are in the RH/LH splits. The Millers are 72-46 (.610) against RHSP but against LHSP like Arce, they are just 23-21 (.523). The Millers tried to address this with numerous signings, call ups and trades but never could find a lineup half as talented as the one they played against RHSP.

If Arce has revenge on his mind, his familiarity with the Millers players and park could prove very useful. If he can go deep into the game without giving up many runs, the Sharks have a lethal back-end bullpen with set-up men Pat Weiss and Troy Davis, before handing the ball to arguably the best closer in baseball Reynaldo "Stinger" Jimenez. The Millers will need a strong performance from Taylor to match Arce, and might need to score early and often to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
        Anything can happen in one game.

That being said, I lean Washington here.

Washington had the league's fourth best offense, while Baltimore finished 7th and is missing J.J. Caplan.
        I agree. Anything can happen in one game. The leagues worst team (California) still managed to win five games against the leagues best team (Death Valley).

This is a very fun match-up due to the division rivalry, the cities closeness in proximity and how the season finished up with Lonnie Coleman games. I could easily see it going either way but I have to give the edge to the home team. We all know Baltimore is much better at home...if they had managed just one more win in the regular season, I would have leaned heavily towards the Bulldogs.

Comment

You're correct, we've got Al Moon going in this one. He should be 100% rested, so that's our best option. After a very disappointing start to the season, he rebounded in August and September, going 8-2 with a 2.23 ERA (I'll ignore his October start). I'm hoping he'll deliver the game we're paying him so much money for here.

Looking at our stats against Baltimore, Jimmy Razza has been great against them, (3-0, 18 IP, 0.00 ERA), but he's not available to start this one. Lippert pitched in relief in Game 163. They're both available from the pen if needed here. All hands on deck for this game, of course.

Should be a good game. Hard to find a more evenly matched game, based on the stats from our previous 21 meetings. Glad to have it at home.
          Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Originally posted by liquidcrash View Post
            You're correct, we've got Al Moon going in this one. He should be 100% rested, so that's our best option. After a very disappointing start to the season, he rebounded in August and September, going 8-2 with a 2.23 ERA (I'll ignore his October start). I'm hoping he'll deliver the game we're paying him so much money for here.

Looking at our stats against Baltimore, Jimmy Razza has been great against them, (3-0, 18 IP, 0.00 ERA), but he's not available to start this one. Lippert pitched in relief in Game 163. They're both available from the pen if needed here. All hands on deck for this game, of course.

Should be a good game. Hard to find a more evenly matched game, based on the stats from our previous 21 meetings. Glad to have it at home.
            Yeah, when I was looking at "who would start", knowing Lippert just pitched in relief, I immediately looked to see if Razza was rested. Everyone knows that Baltimore dominates RHP.

Comment

If only Pizza were starting...

Maine Guides
              General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
              Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
              Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
              Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
              8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
              30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

I feel please with your prediction but we're struggling in Pittsburgh this year, we simply don't have that power... We're made for groundballs and tight games, Romero is down with an injury and Pittsburgh is like fireworks lately...

My prediction Pittsburgh 5 - 2 Dallas

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
                Miami Sharks (BLB)
                * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
                * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

Good preview and nothing to disagree with.

We just have keep it close through 6 or 7 and then let the chips fall. Kahng has 5 complete games this year (only 15 throughout his whole career) so if anyone is going to get us there, it's got to be him.

Good luck to the Bats, and Bats/Millers supporters' club.
                  Last edited by Delandis; 03-10-2016, 11:56 AM.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                  - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                  - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                  - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

Almost nailed the DC-Baltimore prediction, 5-4 instead of 4-3. Got the team right in the Dallas-Pitt series but nothing close on the score.

Comment

Nice avatar...

Comment

Quick IL Wild Card Preview

Good game, Liquid. We did what we were supposed to offensively but Evers unexpectedly let us down. But like I said, this season was an overall success in my eyes as I really didn't expect us to make the playoffs.

We are in a good position next year with most of our kids ready to make the jump sometime next year.

Good luck going forward, Washington.

- Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16

Comment

Originally posted by Delandis View Post
                          Good game, Liquid. We did what we were supposed to offensively but Evers unexpectedly let us down. But like I said, this season was an overall success in my eyes as I really didn't expect us to make the playoffs.

We are in a good position next year with most of our kids ready to make the jump sometime next year.

Good luck going forward, Washington.
                          DC still has your number. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                            DC still has your number. :)

Comment

Working...
                            X