Worst Values At The Current Moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Values At The Current Moment

My team sucks. There isn't much for me to do these days so I thought I'd write an article on something that clearly has affected my teams performance this season. I came up with a list of the 25 worst values in the BLB. All it is based on is salary in THIS season and projected WAR for the end of the year. This isn't a list of the worst contracts in the BLB, as I only looked at 2020. And this isn't necessarily a reflection on the talent themselves but just what teams are getting in terms of value towards what they are paying.

A few qualifiers, I eliminated the two closers that would have made the list. The elite closers in the BLB get good money but probably don't have the amount of innings to fit in this metric. I also set the minimum salary at $10M. I'm sure there are players that make $2M and are a worse value than some of these players, but I think there is much added weight to a player who takes up a huge chunk of your teams budget. For instance, someone like P Tony Osorio (SYR) isn't even playing at the BLB level but making $8M. I think the guy who is making $15M+ and producing at a BLB league average level, is the much worse value.

Hopefully this is fun for teams to look at and might be a learning tool for others.

"America's Most Wanted"
    SP Tadomi Nishimura (SYR) - $17.5M - (negative) 1.0 WAR
    C Mike del Rio (DVS) - $18M - (negative) 0.6 WAR
    OF Israel Morales (DC) - $18M - (negative) 0.5 WAR
    SP Regin Baisden (BAT) - $15M - (negative) 0.3 WAR
    OF Ethan Stuart (SEA) - $27M - 0.1 WAR

These guys are making a nearly a combined $100M (more than some teams entire salary for the year) and are producing at the rate of -2.3 WAR! Baisden hasn't played much this season due to injury. Del Rio hasn't played much as in DVS. Stuart has been in the minors for a lot of the year. The most remarkable thing about this group, besides Seattle, all of the other four teams are all at least 1.5 games back of a playoff spot. Imagine how much better these teams would be if they were able to spend that $15M+ elsewhere?!

"Top Dollar for League Average"
    SP Jimmy Nygaard (PAW) - $19.5M - 0.2 WAR
    SP J.D. Robilliard (PAW) - $15M - 0.2 WAR
    SS Andy Garcia (KC) $12M - 0 WAR
    1B Dave Slack (DEN) $12M - 0.2 WAR
    OF Tom Estes (MOR) - $12M - 0.3 WAR

All five of these guys are producing at least at a league average level, but all making $12-$20M. They combine for $70M and less than 1 WAR! Only Denver, with Slack making $12M as a pinch-hitter, is in the thick of the playoff race. KC, PAW and MOR have three of the four worst records in the DL.

"The Ridiculously Over-Paid"
    SS Marco Lona (LAD) - $20M - 0.8 WAR
    IF Xavier Garnett (SEA) - $27M - 1.5 WAR
    1B David Santoyo (CAR) - $15M - 0.9 WAR
    SP Dave Honea (CAR) - $18.5M - 1.0 WAR
    OF Dave Robinson (SEA) $11M - 0.7 WAR

These players play on some of the very worst teams in the BLB. Two of them, Garnett and Honea, were acquired in salary dump trades. Two others, Santoyo and Lona were once great, great players that are just too old these days. And the last, Robinson, hell if I know.

"Mostly Winners"
    2B Jimmy Kidwell (PHI) - $19M - 1.2 WAR
    SS Xavier Milledge (HAR) - $18M - 1.3 WAR
    1B Danny Gomes (DAL) - $20M - 1.8 WAR
    SP Siung-chung Zhang (PIT) - $25M - 2.0 WAR
    SP Pat Yahn (LAD) - $25M - 2.5 WAR

Sometimes in the chase for the Brewmaster's Cup, you are willing to overpay for a slight edge. Milledge and Gomes were Free-Agent imports for their clubs but Hartford and Dallas are tied for the 4th best record in the BLB. Kidwell had a combined 12 WAR the last two seasons but appears to have hit a wall at 34. Zhang and Yahn are good pitchers, each 2+ WAR projection, but their teams are paying about $10M per win to do so.

"Good players just not good value"
    SP Dave Baldwin (DVS) - $14.4M - 1.6 WAR
    SP Johnny Talley (WC) - $20.5M - 2.2 WAR
    1B Tommy Farless (DAV) $12M - 1.4 WAR
    OF Jamie Williams (DAL) - $12.5M - 1.5 WAR
    3B Jamie Davis (HAR) $10M - 1.2 WAR

These guys barely make the list and four of the five play for likely playoff teams. Davis and Williams have both spent time on the disabled list. Talley and Baldwin are mid-rotation pitchers on probable playoff teams. Farless, a 2019 All-Star, got paid to stay on a team that hasn't had a winning seasons since 2013.

---

Getting the Worst Values
    SEA - 3
    DVS - 2
    PAW - 2
    LAD - 2
    CAR - 2
    DAL - 2
    Last edited by Pat; 02-28-2017, 03:34 PM.
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

$8,000,000 = 1 WAR

Yikes

Comment

Nice article. I'm *this* close to releasing Slack and eating the money. If it's going to be paid, I rather his spot be taken by someone young and ready to contribute.

Plus he's unhappy and I'm worried what might happen.
      Denver Bulls

Comment

In the offseason, I didn't really mind that Morales had picked up his option for this year. I figured he'd at least be a decent player, even if he regressed a little. Instead, he's crashed into the same wall that Lippert hit halfway through last season, apparently. My players don't age gracefully in Washington.
        Washington Bats, 2013-

Comment

Man, Del Rio makes me sad.
          Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
          Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
          IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
          Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
          Last Call '08 (Manning)
          New Brew '08 (Pulido)
          Desert Legends
          #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Williams will rebound... Gomez will finish his stint as a Shark this year, however he is leading the team in RBIs as per right now....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
            Miami Sharks (BLB)
            * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
            * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post

Getting the Worst Values
              SEA - 3
              DVS - 2
              PAW - 2
              LAD - 2
              CAR - 2
              DAL - 2
              Great insight Pat! Just like the Yankees and the Dodgers... some high roller teams can make mistakes and get around it, others get screwed for years with one or two bad contracts...

I'll definitely keep this in mind, the next few seasons as the Kodiak draft picks from our rebuild start to want $$$$$$$$$$.
              GM California Kodiaks 2014 - Present
              Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2036, 2043

GM Edmonton Herd 1987 - Present
              Brewmaster's Bowl Champions - 1990

GM Toronto Arenas 1979/80 - 1982/1983
              Brewmaster's Ice Cup Champions 1979/80

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
                Great insight Pat! Just like the Yankees and the Dodgers... some high roller teams can make mistakes and get around it, others get screwed for years with one or two bad contracts...

I'll definitely keep this in mind, the next few seasons as the Kodiak draft picks from our rebuild start to want $$$$$$$$$$.
                There is no way Jaylen Mitchell is in Washington if I'm not paying Slack, Wil Perez and Reynolds over $30 MM this season.

But these are the breaks.
                Denver Bulls

Comment

Talley has definitely been a disappointment this year. He pitched great for us last year, but his numbers have gone the wrong direction in every major stat. I've been hoping that he's just in a rut and that he'll pull out of it. If it goes on much longer he's going to start seeing his position in the rotation slide. He's still a good starter, but not good enough to hold the number 2 job on our staff. I'm hoping it's just a rut because he's still got two more guaranteed years on this contract.

Comment

In Garcia's defense he's been injured for most of the year. Shook (-0.1 WAR) and Romero (hasn't played in the BLB) are KC's worst values

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                      In Garcia's defense he's been injured for most of the year. Shook (-0.1 WAR) and Romero (hasn't played in the BLB) are KC's worst values
                      Not sure how I missed those assholes.
                      Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                      Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                      Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Nygaard was basically a "Thanks for a great career kid" contract, not at all looking back at his contract. Love this kid. That injury in 2018 really was beginning of the end for him. Overall two allstars, 4 straight sub 3.00 era seasons from 2016-2019 and so far NEVER a losing record in 10+ seasons in Pawtucket.

J.D. Robillard....ughhh one of those gambles you like to take back. Came from Pitt and at age 28 really seemed like he would live up to his 6-6-6 Ironman ratings. 12-5 2.48 ERA , was a little worried about his stamina had him in that borderline territory but we said WTF take a chance. At that time we were scrambling to keep the crew together. He hasnt be awful, just not worth money. It happens.
                        PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
                        Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
                        DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
                        Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
                        Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Farless has fallen off this year and may have to make way for someone younger if he doesn't pick up soon. Averaged a little over .300 for the last three years but only hitting .284 so far this year. Not a bad average but without the power to go with it and with a drop in steals it doesn't make for good math.
                          GM - Davenport Brawlers BLB

Comment

Kinda nice seeing Hartford in the positive portion of this article. Seems like yesterday I signed Ron Wessel to a shit contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                              Not sure how I missed those assholes.
                              Easy to miss them in AAA

Comment

Working...
                              X