Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLB midseason coverage: First-half breakdowns, second-half predictions (2020) - BOCK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLB midseason coverage: First-half breakdowns, second-half predictions (2020) - BOCK

One question for every team: The biggest concerns for every BLB team and division.

Who is going to win it this time?

Over the last three seasons, the Bock has been won by Seattle, Los Alamos and then Death Valley last season. However, as it currently stands, Denver and Windy City are the favorites to to take home the divisional title as they sit #1 and #2 in the standings. No division in the BLB has seen this much fluctuation. That would potentially be four different division winners in four years, and who knows what will happen in 2021, could be 5 in 5. Add to the mess, Davenport is playing their best baseball since 2013, and are only 5.5 back of the division right now. They also have the #1 farm system in the entire BLB. There could be an unprecedented 6 different winners in 6 seasons. That's wild.

Is Denver's run as lovable loser over?

I don't like to use real world examples often, but the Denver Baseball Club are the Chicago Cubs. Who doesn't love Carlos? Who doesn't love the baseball team without a nickname? The greatest untold story in BLB history is Denver winning a Brewmaster's. As it currently stands, they are in first place with their first realistic shot at the playoffs in the last five years. The scary part, is the infield. 2B-3B-SS boasts two All-Stars in Pelloni and Healey, while another Ichikawa might get their in 2021. Oh by the way, they are all in their early 20s. The team is 1st in OPS and a few other batting categories, which should remind some of Denver's best years in the late 2000's. The big difference, is these guys actually play defense. This group is ahead of schedule, if they are to win the Bock, and once Dave Slack is released, they will have rid themselves of all their bad contracts. Denver looks like they are here to stay.

Will the Jimmy Gray injury end the Blues season?

If their was a 1st half IL MVP award, it would have gone to Gray. For those that missed it, Gray was hurt, torn labrum, last week and will miss a month+. That's not good news for a team that is currently slotted as the 6th WC seed and DVS/PHI only 2 games back. Windy City had gone to two straight post-seasons after a seven year drought and were on pace to continue that trend, likely with their first division title since 2009. Without Gray, an average lineup takes a major blow (6th in runs scored) but their defensive calling card (2nd in IL) might be the bigger loss. The top notch rotation will have to keep them in the thick of things, which shouldn't be too difficult. The rotation ranks 2nd in ERA and 2nd in positional strength.

Is this years Scorpions team more 2019 or 2018?

44-44 at the break. The Scorpions are a hard team to figure out. Last season, they went 88-74, winning the division and then put together a surprise run to the finish runner-up in the Brewmaster's. In 2018, they went 73-89, their only losing seasons since 2004. At .500 currently, the team will go one of two ways, and who they are will probably show themselves here by the end of the month. If they are winning, don't be surprised to see a trade or two. If they are losing, also don't be surprised. Names like TJ Dunn, Dave Baldwin and recently added David Rodrigues could all be moved. They currently rank 7th in runs, 8th in ERA and 10th in defense. After ranking as high as 4th in the Pre-Season Shavermetrics, all signs are to this team heading South in the standings.

How will the Amigos respond to losing their stars?

After 1.5 seasons on the trading block, the Amigos finally sent Geoff Yonke packing. A week later, ace SP Dave Harmony got sent to a two month DL stint. Even without him they have a very talented lineup that finished tops in runs scored in the 1st half. And even without Harmony, the rotation is till very deep, especially with the addition of youngster CJ Thompson acquired in the Yonke deal. Without their own 1st round pick, they have all the reason to try and win this season. And with the division only 6 back and the Wild Card 5 back, the Amigos have a shot. Last years Bock Champs have a very different looking roster and will lean on a group of youngsters to make a 2nd half push.

How much longer will the Brawler's fans patience last?

Davenport hasn't had a season over 72 wins in seven years. It's easy to forget how good and popular this team used to be not too long ago. However, the fans have stuck by and with a 41-46 record at the break, the Brawlers are on pace for their best season since going 83-79 in 2013. As mentioned above, the farm is the deepest in the BLB, and the roster has a projected payroll of just $55M in 2021. The rotation looks like an ace away (insert Pat Wood and Jacob Stokes) from being very solid and youngster Jaeden Moir is one of the best young OFs that nobody is talking about. According to OSA the Brawlers Top 6 prospects are all currently in Triple-A. It's not out of the question that this young team could go on a run to .500 by seasons end but the future looks very bright. And for the patient fans, they should be rewarded as early as 2021.

Is there anyways they don't finish with the BLB's worst record?

Shavermetrics had Seattle as the worst team in baseball to enter the year. Remember, that was before trading away Dave Robinson, David Rodrigues, Tom Wood, Jonathan Morales and Jamie Coffman. Sources close to Seattle say that IF Otero is one of the hottest names on the trade block, too. The Pilots are currently tied with the Mohawks for the leagues worst at 28-60. The Pilots have the leagues 2nd worst run differential behind only Los Angeles. The Pilots however have improved their winning percentage each month and have made call-ups of future regulars to the roster for the 2nd half.
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Nice.

Very happy with my 2016 draft. Found 3 potential All Stars that play alongside each other on the field in one round.

Those three are also 1-2-3 in batting average in the IL.
    Denver Bulls

Comment

We played so many road games first half and blew so many 1 runs/extra innings we may have dug our own grave before that AS break.
      Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
      Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
      IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
      Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
      Last Call '08 (Manning)
      New Brew '08 (Pulido)
      Desert Legends
      #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

That said I think we are one trade away from jumpstarting the lineup. The question is always this year vs the next 3-4 years because we definitely have a young roster and some depth in the minors.

I should probably sell Fajardo and TJ Dunn if we don't make a run here by the deadline. I've been reluctant to trade them despite some interest. I also could move Baldwin and Rodriguez but I'm stuck in wait and see mode.
        Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
        Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
        IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
        Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
        Last Call '08 (Manning)
        New Brew '08 (Pulido)
        Desert Legends
        #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Originally posted by umd View Post
          That said I think we are one trade away from jumpstarting the lineup. The question is always this year vs the next 3-4 years because we definitely have a young roster and some depth in the minors.

I should probably sell Fajardo and TJ Dunn if we don't make a run here by the deadline. I've been reluctant to trade them despite some interest. I also could move Baldwin and Rodriguez but I'm stuck in wait and see mode.
          100% agree.

The Bock is wide open. I am also just noticing Denver lost not one but two SPs for long DL stints.

Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
          Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
          Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Pat

100% agree.

The Bock is wide open. I am also just noticing Denver lost not one but two SPs for long DL stints.
            Jimmy Lewis hurts. Really hurts.

Lawrence isn't so much a concern because he wasn't even starting anymore. He's been in the pen for over two months. But he was damn good there so we will miss him.

I think we have a lot of recruits in the minors so it's just about finding the right guy.
            Denver Bulls

Comment

Working...
            X