X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2034 Daily Keg - Wildcard Week

Monday, October 16, 2034

(AP)

The Wildcard round is over. In common BLB fashion beware the 6th seed during the Ides of October as both Windy City and Wilmington advance to the next round with first round upsets. Indy also moves on with a sweep of Maine and Philadelphia knocks off 98 win Batavia to advance.
    Domestic League
    MAI vs. IND
    Maine Guides 2nd place, 89-73 0
    Indianapolis Racers 3rd place, 89-73 3
    --> Series Detail, Season Series
    MIA vs. WIL
    Miami Sharks 2nd place, 90-72 0
    Wilmington Clowns 3rd place, 87-75 3
    Import League
    CHI vs. BAL
    Windy City Blues 2nd place, 78-84 3
    Baltimore Bulldogs 2nd place, 98-64 1
    BAT vs. PHI
    Batavia Red Jackets 3rd place, 98-64 1
    Philadelphia Freedom 4th place, 88-74 3

Performance of the Week

CF Tom Stark - In Game 1 of the Windy City/Baltimore series the Blues set the tone with a crushing 12-0 victory. Tom Stark was the main reason as he recorded three hits, two home runs, four runs batted in, and scored three times himself. After the series was over he was named the MVP and received a new car.

Injury of the Week

P Dave Koehler - In Game 4 with the Bulldogs back to the wall he had to leave after 2.1 scoreless innings due to a back injury. Baltimore then went threw a slew of relief pitchers hoping for the best until the above mentioned Stark hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 6th and blew the game wide open.

Five Things We Think We Think

1. Have we mentioned Tom Stark enough? The 1.1 pick of the 2027 draft saw his average, WAR and ZR all slip this season and many wondered what was wrong with the 27 year old. Then he hit .400/.471/.1.200 with 4 HR's and 9 RBI's in four games and propelled the Blues into the Divisional Series.

2. The deal by Indy last season to bring over Dusty Phares and Garret Clausnitzer from Denver has turned out very well for the Racers. Phares was an All-Star this year and Clausnitzer should have been and both dominated the Wildcard round. In the sweep of Maine, Phares hit .364 with 1 HR and 4 RBI's while Claus was 1-0 with 2 saves in the three games.

3. Seattle is 52-29 both at home and on the road. Philly is 44-37 both at home and on the road. We have no idea what that means for this series but we're excited about this one.

4. Hats off to the other three MVP's of the Wildcard...RF Zheng-xin Yang of Philly who hit .333 with 2 HR's and 6 RBI's; 1B J.R. Pont of Wilmington who hit .500 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's; and 2B Ian Melnik of Indy who hit .500 with four runs scored.

5. The season series for the DS: Indianapolis 6/SDR - 6; Hartford 7/Wilmington 5; Seattle 7/Philly 4; Washington 6/Windy City 5.
    Domestic League
    SDR vs. IND
    Santo Domingo Rum Runners 1st place, 92-70 0
    Indianapolis Racers 3rd place, 89-73 0
    HAR vs. WIL
    Hartford Whalers 1st place, 94-68 0
    Wilmington Clowns 3rd place, 87-75 0
    Import League
    SEA vs. PHI
    Seattle Pilots 1st place, 104-58 0
    Philadelphia Freedom 4th place, 88-74 0
    WAS vs. CHI
    Washington Bats 1st place, 107-55 0
    Windy City Blues 2nd place, 78-84 0

Stat of the Week
    . ..

Season series against WIL in Miami? 6-1, in playoffs? 0-2. Gotta love this game.
    Miami Sharks (BLB)
    * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
    * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkn20 View Post
      Season series against WIL in Miami? 6-1, in playoffs? 0-2. Gotta love this game.
      The Miami Sharks scored just 608 runs this season, lowest of any playoff team this year. Toronto (61-101) scored 615, New Orleans (60-102) scored 605, California (70-92) scored 601. In the three games the Sharks scored zero, one and four runs.

And the Game 1 and Game 2 Wilmington starters (Baugh, Smith) had a lot of success against your team in their last two starts of the regular season: 6 IP 2 H 0 R 0 BB 3 K and 7 IP 3 H 1 R 1BB 4 K. Then in Game 3 your team was facing the best pitcher in baseball, in Wilmington, and you had a .500 SP with a 4.00 ERA on the mound.

I just think there is a big difference between regular season success and post-season success. It's why we often see Wild Card teams win the Brewmaster's, or the last WC team going on a run or tons of "upsets." But a lot of teams that are high seeds, the Seattle Pilots included, win in the regular season because of depth. You have quality backups. You have a deep rotation. You have a deep bullpen. But when it's a playoff series, pitching depth doesn't matter, backups don't matter, or at least as much.

Don't take it the wrong way. I thought you would win the series because Plumley wasn't able to go until Game Three, but I can't say I'm shocked or thinking OOTP is random.
      Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
      Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
      Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post

The Miami Sharks scored just 608 runs this season, lowest of any playoff team this year. Toronto (61-101) scored 615, New Orleans (60-102) scored 605, California (70-92) scored 601. In the three games the Sharks scored zero, one and four runs.

And the Game 1 and Game 2 Wilmington starters (Baugh, Smith) had a lot of success against your team in their last two starts of the regular season: 6 IP 2 H 0 R 0 BB 3 K and 7 IP 3 H 1 R 1BB 4 K. Then in Game 3 your team was facing the best pitcher in baseball, in Wilmington, and you had a .500 SP with a 4.00 ERA on the mound.

I just think there is a big difference between regular season success and post-season success. It's why we often see Wild Card teams win the Brewmaster's, or the last WC team going on a run or tons of "upsets." But a lot of teams that are high seeds, the Seattle Pilots included, win in the regular season because of depth. You have quality backups. You have a deep rotation. You have a deep bullpen. But when it's a playoff series, pitching depth doesn't matter, backups don't matter, or at least as much.

Don't take it the wrong way. I thought you would win the series because Plumley wasn't able to go until Game Three, but I can't say I'm shocked or thinking OOTP is random.
        Plenty of Posts of the developers talking about playoff odds, so yes it is indeed something added to the code.

OOTP isn't a perfect calculator as you want to give away in your post.

As you know there is a random seed in every action that the game does, so it is indeed by design Random. Otherwise why we even bother about playing text based SIMs? I learnt that few seasons ago and since my life is a lot less frustrating.
        Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post

Yeah, everyone’s rotation and bullpen shrinks. Your #5 starter (and #4 in some instances) move to the bullpen, so teams ostensibly have to face them instead of random long reliever bro. If the BABIP spirits aren’t on your side, it’s an uphill climb.

Comment

Originally posted by JJLinn

Yeah, everyone�s rotation and bullpen shrinks. Your #5 starter (and #4 in some instances) move to the bullpen, so teams ostensibly have to face them instead of random long reliever bro. If the BABIP spirits aren�t on your side, it�s an uphill climb.
            We couldn't drive anyone in, the whole lineup went cold, but well next year more. The only objective for the next 2 years is to finish the season in the green and maximize seats, so far so good for 4 years in a row, just 2 more to finish the project, then is time to bargain in FA and go seriously for it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Working...
            X