X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2035 Daily Keg - Week 23

Monday, September 17th, 2035

(AP)

Indy takes back over the top spot with a 3-3 week as Syracuse goes 2-4 and now those two are tied for the best record in the league at 92-51. The best of the week though belongs to the Red Jackets of Batavia who went 6-0, are now 11-4 in September, and have moved into the final wildcard position in the IL. Other big weeks were Seattle who went 5-1 and have taken the lead in the Bock, while Cali, Wilmington, Windy City, SDR, Philly and New Orleans all had winning weeks at 4-2.

Power Rankings

1) Indianapolis Racers (115.8, +)
    2) Syracuse Snappers (114.8, +)
    3) Hartford Whalers (112.5, +)
    4) Seattle Pilots (112.2, +)
    5) Baltimore Bulldogs (109.0, --)
    6) Batavia Red Jackets (108.7, ++)
    7) Santo Domingo Rum Runners (107.5, +)
    8) Pittsburgh Millers (107.0, --)
    9) Washington Bats (106.5, -)
    10) California Kodiaks (103.5, +)
    11) Wilmington Clowns (99.7, +)
    12) Miami Sharks (97.4, -)
    13) Carolina Tobs (96.4, --)
    14) Windy City Blues (96.1, o)
    15) Philadelphia Freedom (89.1, +)
    16) Phoenix Roadrunners (83.9, -)
    17) New Orleans Dukes (82.1, +)
    18) New York Knights (76.4, -)
    19) Pawtucket Patriots (71.3, +)
    20) Toronto Canadians (70.2, -)
    21) Los Angeles Dinos (67.5, -)
    22) Maine Guides (57.4, o)
    23) Montreal Exports (38.8, o)
    24) Denver BC (37.2, o)

Performance of the Week

LF Marco Taylor - The 22 year old left fielder got called up from AAA a few months ago and has sparked Batavia's season. On September 11th against Carolina he had four hits, two home runs, and drove in five during a 10-1 victory. He was the IL Batter and Rookie of the Month in June and just won Player of the Week. On the season he's hitting .353/.408/.611 with 17 HR's and 74 RBI's in only 88 games. Scary thing is scouts still think he has room to grow.

Injury of the Week

LF Charles Farris - Only day to day with a knee contusion he suffered on September 10th the Pilots need to be careful with the 24 year old. The first round pick in 2031 out of UNLV is hitting .243/.340/.470 with 25 HR's and 63 RBI's while playing the DH spot and has been an integral part of the team after coming on strong late last season. Seattle did sign two injured players that Denver just released though in order for their team trainer to practice on. Pitchers DJ Mauss and Geoff Jago both had elbow injuries requiring surgery that the Pilots medical staff hopes to practice some newly discovered technologies on.

Prospect of the Week

CF Anssi 'Dinosaur' Latti - Signed by Carolina out of Finland in 2030 he worked his way up to the #41 prospect in the league this year. After the draft he has fallen but he still has great potential to be a solid center fielder and contact hitter. In 105 AA games he hit .259/.307/.373 with 1 HR and 42 RBI's while posting a -2.0 ZR in center and +3.5 ZR in right field.

Five Things We Think We Think

1. We missed the finale of the AAA, AA, and A playoffs last week! In AAA the Vancouver Thunderbirds defeated the Moscow Mules 3 games to 1. The Thunderbirds though have been accused of stacking their team as Daryl Daniels (finals MVP) and Lewis Marvin were both flown in after playing in the AA playoffs as well and not playing in AAA at all during the season. Daniels hit two home runs in a 4-3 game one victory and hit a huge three run home run in the deciding 5-3 game four victory. In AA the Fort Lee Generals knocked off the San Francisco Seals three games to two when they scored four runs in the first inning of game five and won 5-3. Finally in A ball the Janesville Rolling Thunder defeated the Hondo Owls three games to two. They were up 7-0 in game five before holding on to win 9-6 and take their first title since 2016.

2. Zachary Bradley has been toiling away unnoticed in Pawtucket after being traded there following his 2033 Brewmasters Cup victory with the Santo Domingo Rum Runners. This past week though he hit seven home runs and drove in 16 while being named the player of the week. The 31 year old was named to his 5th All-Star game this year and has quietly hit .300/.362/.569 with 35 HR's and 86 RBI's while posting a 3.6 WAR and 149 wRC+. He's scheduled to make $24m each of the next two seasons and could be a valuable trade asset this off-season.

3. Ron Hutchison hit his 50th home run of the season on September 12th against Wilmington on a three run shot in the 1st. The Whalers won 3-1 and 'Vampire' has reached 50 home runs in three of his six full seasons in the BLB. The years he didn't quite get there he hit 49, 39, and 37. The former second overall pick in 2028 is only 27 and could end up as the most dominating hitter in BLB history. He has a long way to go though as his 286 career home runs don't even put him in the BLB all-time top 100 yet.

4. The only record that has a chance to be tied this year is pitcher losses...probably not what Maine starter Pat 'Doofus' Clatterbuck was going for this season. He was 12-15 last season with a 3.71 ERA but is 3-20 this year with a 5.02 ERA. To be fair he was a 9th round pick way back in 2023 by Carolina so to make it this long while making a $3.78 million this year is quite a feat. The record currently belongs to Pawtucket's Ruben Aparicio who won the Pale Ale in 2004 then turned around and went 2-23 in 2007.

5. Wilmington and Windy City are their leagues respective 7th team in a six team playoff and are currently swimming for their postseason lives. The Clowns are three games back from Miami while the Blues are two games back from Batavia. Miami and Wilmington don't play again but Windy City and Batavia play this week with the Red Jackets hosting the huge three game series.

Stat of the Week
    . ..

Good wrap up.

Yeah, I still don't understand why teams release players who are out for long-term injuries. Even if they don't project to be very good players, it's a free roster spot on the disabled list. There's always a chance they get a ratings bump or they become healthy during a sim that you need to plug and play someone due to other injuries. If they don't, and when the are healthy you don't need them, just cut them then.

Interesting Stat of the Day. A good chunk of that list played in the post-season for a team I GM'd. Diego Flores who leads the category, was a FA acquisition in the DC days. Switch-hitter with middle of the order ratings but couldn't really field catcher and hadn't produced. Ron Robertson, Jamie Stone, David Santoyo, Hidetoshi Haraguchi and Zachary Oldham all played for SEA/DC in their latter years. Edgar Salazar was one of those high inning RPs we drafted in the 1st round. Manny Nieto was a huge IFA signing....

But also one of my favorite players in IF Alex Otero. Originally a 2nd round pick pitcher for the Wilmington BLUE WAVE. We acquired him in the Rule 5 Draft (#BringItBack) and converted him to infielder. He wasn't a great fielder but played 1B-2B-3B-SS for a lot of teams and had one of the best eyes in the game at the time.
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
      Good wrap up.

Yeah, I still don't understand why teams release players who are out for long-term injuries. Even if they don't project to be very good players, it's a free roster spot on the disabled list. There's always a chance they get a ratings bump or they become healthy during a sim that you need to plug and play someone due to other injuries. If they don't, and when the are healthy you don't need them, just cut them then.

Interesting Stat of the Day. A good chunk of that list played in the post-season for a team I GM'd. Diego Flores who leads the category, was a FA acquisition in the DC days. Switch-hitter with middle of the order ratings but couldn't really field catcher and hadn't produced. Ron Robertson, Jamie Stone, David Santoyo, Hidetoshi Haraguchi and Zachary Oldham all played for SEA/DC in their latter years. Edgar Salazar was one of those high inning RPs we drafted in the 1st round. Manny Nieto was a huge IFA signing....

But also one of my favorite players in IF Alex Otero. Originally a 2nd round pick pitcher for the Wilmington BLUE WAVE. We acquired him in the Rule 5 Draft (#BringItBack) and converted him to infielder. He wasn't a great fielder but played 1B-2B-3B-SS for a lot of teams and had one of the best eyes in the game at the time.
      I will cut an injured player if:
      1) they have future projected arb/team option salaries
      2) I know I'm not bringing them back (due to age), and
      3) I "need" the future salary slot freed up for other business (extensions, FAs, etc).
      Philly Freedom
      Owner & GM: 1987 - Pres.
      Porter Div. Champs (Mbr '84-'15): 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011
      Stout Div. Champs (Mbr '78-'83 & '16-present): 2016, 2017
      IL Wild Card Winner: 1987, 2013, 2018, 2019
      Import League Champs: 1984, 2010, 2017

Comment

Y’all run your teams however you see fit and enjoy yourselves. That’s what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by BradZ View Post

I will cut an injured player if:
          1) they have future projected arb/team option salaries
          2) I know I'm not bringing them back (due to age), and
          3) I "need" the future salary slot freed up for other business (extensions, FAs, etc).
          Oh for sure. I was just referencing minor league contract players.

Comment

#minutiae

Comment

I see that now. I browsed the OP earlier and never found the point you were obviously referencing. This being the internet, I was required to respond with less than perfect context/understanding.
              Philly Freedom
              Owner & GM: 1987 - Pres.
              Porter Div. Champs (Mbr '84-'15): 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011
              Stout Div. Champs (Mbr '78-'83 & '16-present): 2016, 2017
              IL Wild Card Winner: 1987, 2013, 2018, 2019
              Import League Champs: 1984, 2010, 2017

Comment

I see that now. I browsed the OP earlier and never found the point you were obviously referencing. This being the internet, I was required to respond with less than perfect context/understanding.
                lol
                Columbus Catfish (2020-2030 & 2036-2038)
                Huntsville Bulldogs (2043-present)

Comment

Never change.

Comment

Good wrap up.

Diego was a really good player for a while. One of our better draft picks over the years.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                    - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                    - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                    - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

Chuck refuses to take his old jersey off.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/blb/...ayer_7728.html

Comment

"2. Zachary Bradley has been toiling away unnoticed in Pawtucket after being traded there following his 2033 Brewmasters Cup victory with the Santo Domingo Rum Runners. This past week though he hit seven home runs and drove in 16 while being named the player of the week. The 31 year old was named to his 5th All-Star game this year and has quietly hit .300/.362/.569 with 35 HR's and 86 RBI's while posting a 3.6 WAR and 149 wRC+. He's scheduled to make $24m each of the next two seasons and could be a valuable trade asset this off-season."

I actually had him on the trade block with something like 60% retain salary. DH guys just don't get the value they use to. However, my guess is he opts outs this season.

PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
                        Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
                        DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
                        Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
                        Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

To clarify, Mauss is arbitration eligible. We already paid him for two lost seasons. And he's wrecked. Not really a position I'm trying to be in with him.

Jago is going to end up with a salary in AAA and won't be my first, second, third, or fourth option to call up next season since I have several starters in AAA next year that project to hit my BLB team sometime in 2036.

Lack of spots and money. It's tough when you're in the red.
                          Denver Bulls

Comment

Originally posted by funclown View Post
                            [B]

I actually had him on the trade block with something like 60% retain salary. DH guys just don't get the value they use to. However, my guess is he opts outs this season.
                            Yup... A guy like 1B Jamie Middaugh hasn't been in the BLB for two years, yet he is a career 0.311 average and 3 gold gloves, or a guy like Josh Wright and his 200 career home runs settles $6 million a year... There is just no market for 1B/DH guys... It just seems like OOTP is developing so many bats with 'meh gloves in recent drafts, that there is no real reason to overpay for those guys.
                            GM California Kodiaks 2014 - Present
                            Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2036, 2043

GM Edmonton Herd 1987 - Present
                            Brewmaster's Bowl Champions - 1990

GM Toronto Arenas 1979/80 - 1982/1983
                            Brewmaster's Ice Cup Champions 1979/80

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC View Post

Yup... A guy like 1B Jamie Middaugh hasn't been in the BLB for two years, yet he is a career 0.311 average and 3 gold gloves, or a guy like Josh Wright and his 200 career home runs settles $6 million a year... There is just no market for 1B/DH guys... It just seems like OOTP is developing so many bats with 'meh gloves in recent drafts, that there is no real reason to overpay for those guys.
                              Agreed. Sad thing is I'm rooting for him to opt out of his contract which probably ends up happening. Sad.
                              PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
                              Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
                              DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
                              Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
                              Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X