Only The Names Will Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only The Names Will Change

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCLAYSH%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtyp e namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> “Sure I heard them. I heard them all. I knew what he was saying to the press. I knew what he was saying to the other Owners. But, I knew me. I knew that no matter how many times he called $!@# or %#&$@, it wasn’t going to change my game. You know you hear about teammates or even fans driving a player out of town, never thought it would be the owner. I never wanted to leave <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:city></st1:place>, but Mr. Linn made it so there was no way I could stay.”
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The player is Everardo Gremades. A nine-time BLB All-Star and one of the brightest stars in the league. Once the name and face of a franchise, now moving for the second time in as many years.
    “The people in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indianapolis</st1:place></st1:city> were great to me. I will not say anything bad about that team or their fans. They brought me in to be a difference maker. I was going to help them get back into the playoffs and push them over the top. I didn’t do my job.”
    The Clowns fell just one win short of the DL Wildcard and would instead watch the playoffs from the golf course. Many fans blamed Gremades for the missed opportunity.
    “I thought I had a great season last year. But I know that what I do isn’t what matters, it’s where the team goes. I didn’t get the Clowns into the playoffs. The fans weren’t happy, but I know the organization never did anything to disrespect me. Not like in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:city>.”
    Of course the Colombian slugger is referring to the many public or otherwise documented outbursts by banned former Pittsburgh Millers owner J.J. Linn who on more than one occasion verbally lambasted his young superstar to anyone who would listen.
    “I’ve got a family, man. Nobody wants to turn on the TV or radio and hear their Boss calling them… well… you know… a piece of… well you know what he said. It was nasty, man. Unprofessional. Uncalled for. That’s not how men behave.”
    When new ownership arrived, the former DL Stout Slugger was moved to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Indianapolis</st1:place></st1:city> for prospects and the hopes of a fresh start. His numbers with the Clowns have been great. His perspective bright. Unfortunately, the team had taken a sudden and unexpected fall.
    “That’s baseball. Just when things are going great, something changes and you’re looking up. I don’t even think it was us. I think the rest of the division just got good quick. But I had a feeling when ‘Coyote’ got shipped, I should watch my pager.”
    The June 12<sup>th</sup> trade of BLB Homerun King Sergio Lumar to the Washington Bats set off a firestorm or trade activity under the Big Top. Two frontline starters in Abe and Gauina were quickly moved and Gremades had a suspicion his number might be next, but still held out hope of sticking around.
    “I liked Indy. I was thinking ‘Hey, I’m 31 with a lot of baseball left; I can still be in the future plans.’ But I guess they wanted to get a little younger.”
    On his 32<sup>nd</sup> birthday, he got the call from Clowns’ owner Ryan Mann.
    “He told me that he appreciated everything that I did for his franchise. That he wished it didn’t have to be like this. But, he had a deal that he had to take and he thought I’d be happy to go to a Contender.”
    After just 137 games in the red, white and blue of the Clowns, Everardo Gremades was moving again. A guy who was convinced he would retire in <st1:city w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:city> was headed to <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Virginia</st1:place></st1:state> to join the IL’s Stout Division leading Colonials.
    “It was a little weird when Mr. M said he was sending me to a Contender then said <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Virginia</st1:place></st1:state>. Guess I still think of <st1:state w:st="on">Virginia</st1:state> as, well you know, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Virginia</st1:place></st1:state>. THAT <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">Virginia</st1:state></st1:place>. I mean I follow the standings some, but mostly in the Domestic. I knew they made a run last year and fell short like we did, but I really wasn’t paying much attention.”
    The DL’s June Batter of the Month was heading to Historic Williamsburg to join forces with the IL’s June Batter and Pitchers of the Month on the Colonials’ roster and play his home games at a park that is historically friendly to lefties like Gremades.
    As the ink was still drying on the deal, questions began to come up about Gremades and Colonials’ owner Clay T. Shaver. Shaver, a known instigator and media seeker around the league, was often at the center of Pittsburgh Ownership’s now famous rants about their All-Star. In fact, some even credit Shaver with being the original author of the fecal nickname that has haunted the big southpaw.
    “I knew what he was doing. I know people use to really get under Mr. Linn’s skin. Besides… it’s one thing to say it about your opponent, it’s another to say it about your player. We were enemies then. We’re a team now.”
    Gremades and Shaver met within hours of the deal being finalized. Both men emerged from the meeting happy with the results.
    “I like this team a lot. They wanted me. They paid for me with guys that they really loved. They’re surrounding me with great players. I look around the locker room and see these guys who are already close to legends that I never got to play with because I’ve been in the DL my whole career. I feel like I still have things I can learn from Nino and ‘<st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bell</st1:place></st1:city> and these guys. Super happy to be here. Any bad feeling that I could have ever felt with Mr. Shaver are long since forgotten.
    While some will still ask if the history and the name-calling still lingers in Gremades’ head. Does he really have perspective and a sense of humor about the whole thing? Upon arrival at the Colonials’ clubhouse and given his pick of new uniform numbers – Gremades chose #2.

LINK
    The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Originally posted by Clay View Post
    Upon arrival at the Colonials’ clubhouse and given his pick of new uniform numbers – Gremades chose #2.
    HAHAAHA, did he really?!

edit: Ah, you trick. It's #58. That would have been the golden nugget right there, though. Too bad reality had to flush my hopes down the toilet.

Good write up, either way.
    Denver Bulls

Comment

I'm sure he'll change it this week.
      California Kodiaks - GM - 1982-2013
      Brewmaster's Cups: 1987
      Import League Champions: 1987, 1989
      Porter Division Champions:
      1986, 1987, 1989, 1999
      , 2000
      Import League Wild Card: 2001, 2003, 2004

Comment

Already changed it... couldn't do it Pre-SIM
        The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

We can change numbers? I thought only the commish could.
          Denver Bulls

Comment

Nope. Anyone can.
            Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
            Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
            Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Now you need to change his name to "Carajo".

Comment

Great read, Clay. Thanks for being kind to the Clownies. Your fanclub membership renewal is in the mail, by the way.

Comment

I think I wrote the same article about Tommy Lang last year. Nevertheless... nice read. Go Bats.
                  Charlotte Knights - OSFL
                  Syracuse Slammers - BLB
                  South America - 1984 WBC Runner Up

Comment

Working...
                  X