Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muckdogs 2B Makes Push for New Brew

Jermaine Ednams, 2B - Batavia Muckdogs

Someday when the Muckdogs make the playoffs, and if that time comes while present management is still alive, they will look back upon June 29th, 1987 with found memories. On that day the Batavia Muckdogs traded MR Roger Simmonds and OF Steve Bing to Davenport for SS Jermaine Ednams, OF Anibal Alsina, and a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick.

At first the critics were skeptic. Alsina's huge contract was a lot for Batavia to carry. His skills were poor, his play was bad, and soon enough he was on Batavia's AAA team as a backup. The whispers began about another bonehead move by the Muckdog's management. The picks though were put to good use and relieved a little of the post-trade stress. In the 2nd round Batavia selected P Yann Martal and in the 3rd they selected P Basil Petrohilos. They have come along nicely and both players are currently on the Muckdog's AA team and are playing very well.

The key to the trade though was rookie SS Jermaine Ednams. Davenport's 1st round pick in 1987 had only played seven games in the Brawler's organization when the deal went through, but GM Matt liked what he saw already. "He just had it," he said recently. "The kid looked like a ballplayer, acted like a ballplayer, and played like a ballplayer. He could hit, he could run, and he could field...he was the key to that trade."

Ednams started out in A ball and struggled like most young stars. At the end of '87 he was hitting .224 with no HR's and 36 RBI's in 54 games. After an off-season of workouts and coaching though he was moved to AA ball, and found his groove. After 80 games the kid was hitting .315 with 5 HR's, 36 RBI's, and 23 stolen bases. He was moved up to AAA before the season was over and finished out the final 32 games there hitting .287 with 3 HR's and 18 RBI's.

During spring training of 1989 the Batavia management mulled long and hard weather or not to move Ednams up to the BLB. He had the talent but he was raw and the last thing Batavia wanted was to burn out another young star ala SP Chet Stephens. In a tryout of sorts he hit .273 in 66 spring training at bats and played flawlessly in the field. He received the call he was staying two days before the season started.

When asked for this article about that moment he said, "it was a dream come true. A lot of guys say the same things and use the same cliches...but it really was a dream come true. Since growing up in Indiana I've wanted nothing more than to play under the lights someday in the BLB and here I was getting the shot. I was nervous, but an excited nervous. I knew I could play and I was relieved that the GM thought the same."

Ednams used that confidence and exploded onto the BLB scene. In April he hit .354 and he followed it up in May by hitting .364. "It was amazing," the GM said. "He surpassed all expectations and he kept a level head doing it. For a 22 year old to find that sort of success immediately, then build on it the next month only made us prouder. He wasn't going to the bars, he wasn't doing commercials...he was in that batting cage before every game."

As of now Ednams is hitting .328/.386/.461 with 11 HR's, 58 RBI's, and 21 stolen bases. He's neck and neck with Morgantown rookie standout Manny Rodriguez in many of the critical categories. Currently Ednams is 1st in batting average, on-base percentage, VORP, hits, runs scored, and stolen bases.

"We still have a whole month to play," Ednams said in his interview. "I'm flattered you guys are writing about me, I'm flattered for the attention I'm getting...but there are a whole lot of at bats left before '89 is in the books. I hate the cliches but I guess I love to use them...I'm just thankful to God for giving me the ability and I'm just happy to be here."

From the smile on the GM's face when talking about Jermaine...we think Batavia is quite happy he's here as well.
    Last edited by Matt; 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM.

Good stuff Matt. I bet growing up in Indiana he wishes he was with the Clowns though. Maybe someday.

Comment

Very good stuff. He's beating out my boy, Wallace, for ROY, unfortunately.
      Last edited by Delandis; 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
      - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
      - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
      - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

Working...
      X