Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR Dream: A Teenage Prospect Has All Eyes on Blacksburg

LINK

When 17 year old Alejandro Gallegos joined his teammates at the Orinda Academy in the little California town just 10 miles northeast of Oakland four months ago, he had already realized most of his childhood dreams. He left his parents humble home in Puerto Rico to live with his uncle Rudolpho Torres, the Coach of the Varsity team at OA. Alejandro would get the chance to get the education that he always dreamed of, He’d longed to come to the US to earn his degree and take advantage of the educational opportunities that simply were not afforded to him in his native country. He planned to apply to Berkley and study business. A skill he hoped he could take back to Puerto Rico and make a better life for his entire family. Instead, his unique skills have taken him two places he would have never guessed - Blacksburg Virginia and the front page.

The defending IL Champion Virginia Colonials used their 3rd Round draft pick last week to take Gallegos. A burly 6'2" 220 pounder who other scouts have said never even blipped on their radar.

Virginia Colonials head of Scouting Shiferaw Yasini said at the post draft press conference, "Maybe they didn't know he could do it. Maybe they didn't have the local scouts I do. Hell, maybe I'm crazy. But, I think this kid is the first kid I've seen who has a legit shot at doing it at the BLB level. He's got a special skill set."

What makes Gallegos unique, besides his charming smile and boyish optimism is that Gallegos may be the first prospect in the modern era that may legitimately have a chance of making the BLB as both an Infielder and a Pitcher.

"When you're growing up, you always do both," Gallegos told us in nearly perfect yet accented English, "I guess I don't see anything special about what I can do."

Blacksburg Manager Pietro Rodledo disagrees.

"The boy is humble. He's got plus plus power potential that is going to blossom as soon as we fix a little tick in his swing. He has a cannon arm at third. He has great baseball instincts. That alone is more than you can ask from most 17 years olds. But now add in the fact that he throws 4 pitches including a nasty cutter. He touches 90 and can easily give you 90-95 pitches if asked. Hell, he could even play a little OF if pressed. If the kid weren't slower than my Grandmamma, I'd say he was the perfect player."

All of the papers from his native Puerto Rico have sent teams to Blacksburg to cover Gallegos' story. In his first 6 games, he played 3B but never got a chance to tow the rubber. Rodledo says that will change.

"He's part of my bullpen effective immediately. I wanted to give him a week to get his feet under him. Remember, he's just a boy. Let him get his head on straight. How would you feel if your entire country was watching you under a microscope and you weren't even shaving yet?"

For now, Gallegos' dreams are unchanged.

"Sure, I dream of making it to the BLB someday. Of course it would be special to get to pitch and play the infield. I certainly appreciate that opportunity and I'm proud that the Coach thinks that highly of me. But, whether all of that happens or not, I'm in America to get an education."

With cruel fates of a young prospect, one way or another, an education he'll undoubtedly get.
    The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Good write-up, Clay.

I like that you're giving him a chance to go both ways. If there's any organization that could make it work, it'd be Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by chippered View Post
      Good write-up, Clay.

I like that you're giving him a chance to go both ways. If there's any organization that could make it work, it'd be Virginia.
      What Chipper is suggesting is that players on your team tend to go both ways.
      PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
      Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
      DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
      Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
      Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Thank you, Comedy Translator... but I deciphered the code.
        The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

Originally posted by Clay View Post
          Thank you, Comedy Translator... but I deciphered the code.
          I was going to PM you to save some confusion, but you seem like a pretty bright bulb.

Comment

Working...
          X