Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982: What were they Thinking?

LINK

The 1992 draft has come to (thankfully to some) an end. As usual there will be booms there will be busts. There will be over analysis, under valuing, and a whole lot of hot air from BLB GM's.

One of the prevailing thoughts at this years meat market was, "There isn't as much talent coming into the league now as there was 10 years ago." Really? Is that true? It might be. But we won't know until we take a deeper look. So come with me back to the stone age in 1982 and let's see what life was like in the BLB draft back then. Ten years should be enough to get a good read on the gems and the bombs. Let's also sample the reaction as it was happening. And away we go!

Now the first pick belonged to the Mississippi Storm in this draft. There was speculation as to whom would be their top choice. Overall sentiment was Joaqun Gonzlez would be the first player selected. But Mississippi shook things up taking a big roll of the dice on a 16 year old pitcher from Cleveland Ohio named Don Stevens.

The initial reaction?

"whoa, not expected at all"
    "
    "I didn't see that coming either! But I think Stevens can be just as good if not better than Gonzalez.

"I like Stevens over Gonzalez also. I had them close... but Stevens was over the top for two reasons... he'll give you more innings and he's a Lefties"

The GM of the Storm outlayed his reasons for going with StevensL

"A) He's 16, that's outrageous for a player of his caliber
    B) My scouts think he's closer to the bigs somehow than Gonzalez
    C) He's gonna be an innings eater too, with elite endurance
    D) His control potential was consistently at 8 from all my scouts"

Someone forgot to tell him that he was breaking several rules drafting Stevens this high.

1. Never ever use the first pick on a 16 year old player.
    2. Only consider #1 IF the player has a nickname.
    3. Don't draft anyone from Cleveland. Just don't.

Stevens never ranked high on any prospect list. He was rushed to the bigs and at age 17 one year after being drafted was facing major league hitters. And you are correct there are no child labor laws in Mississippi...or pretty much any laws at all. Unfotuately this was also one of his best years. Stevens had a respectable 3.83 ERA that year. At 18 he started an unprecedented 34 games for his age. His body broke down and by 1986 at the age of 20 when most players are just getting drafted Stevens was stranded on the DL.

After stevens Indianapolis were giddy to select Joaquin Gonzalez. Only they were just setting up for another pie in the face. Actually the pie eventually was thrown at Pittsburgh. "Grumpy" did reach the pinnacle of becoming the #34th prospect in Baseball America's top 100 but never panned out due to impatient ownership (we're not talking "Don Stevens" impatient, but impatient nonetheless)

After Stevens the then California Wildfire selected Jud Graham. The good news was Graham had a nickname, "Admiral." The bad news is Jud....one second.."Yes I would like fries with that!" The bad news was that he ..."Woah Jud Graham!" "Holy @#$%!". What are the odds? So anyhow Jud Graham is currently avaialable for anyone interested.

Here's some thougts at this point..

"and we are on to pick 4! 3 pitchers to start the draft... wouldn't be surprised to see them all be stars one day in the BLB!
    "

"I'm happy to get Gonzalez, but my only concern was his endurance. Still, hopefully he'll develope into a stud. Should be interesting to track his progress. "

" agree.. the guy is a complete stud and you don't have to play the waiting game as he's already 20. "

Ok so 0-3 so far. But now we're about to hit the jackpot.

4th Raul Carillo--BOOM!
    5th Victor Gonzalez --BOOM!
    6th Yoritoki Maeda -- BOOM!
    7th Raul Zamora -- Bo--er....ok nice pick but not nice enough
    8th Dani Alvarez --BOOM making up for the Zamora pick.
    9th Robby Shannon -- BOOM this is getting out of control! Let's keep it going and finish out the top ten with
    10th Don Rice *crickets* Who? Who the hell is Don Rice?

Well Don Rice is another 16 year old "phenom" who is now celebrating his 10th year in the minor leagues. The only team that still believes in him is Pawtucket but we dont' have to worry about ruining anything for him because their GM can't read. Ooops! Let that one out of the bag too, too bad he can't read this either.

Some more perpective at the time...

"I was torn between two players, Zamora and Alvarez.. both completely opposite of each other and as Diesel said, it's Figgins v Thome. I went with the guy that can play just about anywhere and get on base. "

"Well, my original plan was to take a pitcher no matter what. I have very little pitching prospects so I didn't even look at any hitters. However, when it got to me, I had a few pitchers I liked but several I thought might make it to my pick in the 2nd round. So, I ended up with Alvarez as he looks like a solid hitter. I already have Melgoza (#10 overall BLB prospect) for 1B so Alvarez will either be a DH or will be traded. " (Even on draft day he knew)

(THE FOLLOWING IS FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY)

"you win with pitching, so i went with a pitcher Don Rice. hopefully, he'll mature faster than his 16 years old indicates. "
    (we warned you)

We'll wrap up part I of this look back with some final words from someone who has since retired. Former GM Riverman who was smarter than us all...

"I was surprised that Graham went so high and Zamora as well.

I wouldn't have had the nerve to pick Graham so high as I'd have been worried I'd need two more like him to get me through the 7th. I would have been tempted to trade down 3 or 4 spots if I had been CA in the hopes he would still be there and I could pick up something decent in addition. I'll be watching him very closely the next couple of seasons to see if you can make a starter out of a guy like that though.

With regard to Zamora I have a strong preference for power hitters (and pitching) - speed and defence be dammed. I can see now that I had him rated too low and I'll look more closely at guys like that in the future.

Also, I probably would have picked Victor Gonzalez if I'd had the first pick though I see now that very few if anyone agrees with that assessment. All of my scouts had him significantly better than the other two top tier hitters. The overall draft class seems deep in pitching with a dearth of decent offensive players. "

ok and one final remark...

"Well I'm really interested to see how Graham pans out for me... I mean what's the worst that happens? He becomes a dominant reliever... is that such a bad thing? "
    WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
    Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
    Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
    BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
    Hall of Famers: 4
    Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
    Stout Sluggers: 2
    New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
    You guys should trade with Windy City.

Great read...creating league history is priceless. When we go to the new forums we are going to need to try and save as many of our old threads as possible.

Comment

We won't move forums. This forum should still be intact. We're just changing hosts. Everything should be fine (famous last words).

BTW - Great read and great pick at #6
      The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

I deserve a pass. 1982 was my first year with the game.

Graham ended up being a decent trade chip... in which I netted 2B Mark Steward, who went on to hit .269/.331/.431/.762 with 66 HR's in over 500 games and an All-Star appearance in 1985.

Plus, Graham didn't have a terrible BLB career, 74 games, 42 starts, 11-14, 4.07 ERA, 21.5 VORP

Not what you want out of a first round pick, but he wasn't a total flop.
        California Kodiaks - GM - 1982-2013
        Brewmaster's Cups: 1987
        Import League Champions: 1987, 1989
        Porter Division Champions:
        1986, 1987, 1989, 1999
        , 2000
        Import League Wild Card: 2001, 2003, 2004

Comment

Graham was a total flop.
          Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
          Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
          Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

I had no chance at those other names, but I always regretted not taking RF Miguel Angel Padilla at 15 over Chet Reed.

I know Padilla has struggled the past two seasons, but Reed isn't exactly doing much but being a below average backup.
            Denver Bulls

Comment

Originally posted by Carlos View Post
              I had no chance at those other names, but I always regretted not taking RF Miguel Angel Padilla at 15 over Chet Reed.

I know Padilla has struggled the past two seasons, but Reed isn't exactly doing much but being a below average backup.
              MAP is a china doll. Don't get me wrong, Reed sucks... but MAP is Matt Stafford soft.
              The Great One!

Comment

That draft with all the 16 years old... man.

It took a ton of patience. I literally slow played Maeda for 8 years to nurse him into his potential. He played almost 450 games in the minors and 300 more at the BLB level before he finally hit his potential at age 24.

I had dreams of the Mel Woodbury-esque 18/19 year old Phenom... but it wasn't meant to be. Still think when this kid's career is done, he may play more games (including all levels) then any other player in the game.
                The Great One!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay View Post
                  MAP is a china doll. Don't get me wrong, Reed sucks... but MAP is Matt Stafford soft.
                  At least, I could be like Pat and think: "Hey, we had some good years out of him."

Reed gave me one and a half quality years off the bench. Key words: off the bench.

That was also my first draft in this league. I learned a lot after that, especially with young catchers.
                  Denver Bulls

Comment

Yeah, you can usually gauge your progress as an Owner/OOTP player by your drafts. My first couple were brutal. '82 was my first good one.
                    The Great One!

Comment

I had a first rounder and then nothing til the 5th that year.

I thought Luis Antonio Ramirez would be great.

When he was 21 he went 10-5 with a 2.23 ERA. 21 walks, 100K's

Then the 1987 season destroyed him.

Did we go to a new version of OOTP for the 1987 season?
                      WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
                      Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
                      Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
                      Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
                      BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
                      Hall of Famers: 4
                      Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
                      Stout Sluggers: 2
                      New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
                      You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

That draft with all the 16 years old... man.

It took a ton of patience. I literally slow played Maeda for 8 years to nurse him into his potential. He played almost 450 games in the minors and 300 more at the BLB level before he finally hit his potential at age 24.

I had dreams of the Mel Woodbury-esque 18/19 year old Phenom... but it wasn't meant to be. Still think when this kid's career is done, he may play more games (including all levels) then any other player in the game.
                        Yeah it's weird that he turned into a superstar right when you took over commission duties.

I'm sure no one remembers...but we actually had a sim, in the off-season, I think maybe '83 or '84, where MAP actually had an off the field injury. Fell off a truck or some shit. Was out something like 10-11 months....but something went wrong with the file, it had to be re-run and he was no longer hurt when Andrew re-simmed.

Dude is made of glass. He has struggled the past two years but I think he might be back on the right track. Had a good week.
                        Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                        Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                        Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Jistic View Post

Did we go to a new version of OOTP for the 1987 season?
                          We did not.
                          Denver Bulls

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                            I'm sure no one remembers...but we actually had a sim, in the off-season, I think maybe '83 or '84, where MAP actually had an off the field injury. Fell off a truck or some shit. Was out something like 10-11 months....but something went wrong with the file, it had to be re-run and he was no longer hurt when Andrew re-simmed.

Dude is made of glass. He has struggled the past two years but I think he might be back on the right track. Had a good week.
                            I remember. I believe someone brought up a Jeff Kent joke.
                            Denver Bulls

Comment

Wow, I can't believe some of the names I passed on for Joaquin Gonzalez. Just awful.

Good stuff, Jistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X