• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrigan guides Pittsburgh to victory in Maine farewell

<table><tr><td></td><td>
    Corrigan guides Pittsburgh to victory in Maine farewell
    </td><td></td></tr><tr><td></td><td>
    On an electric night in which the Maine faithful gathered to celebrate the past, and bid adieu to Teagan Corrigan, the legend gave them one more lasting memory.

Corrigan emerged from the dugout and took the mound at quarter after the hour, to a tremendous ovation from a Maine crowd that had honored him and his former Guides teammates in a pre-game ceremony.

After giving up a run to tie the game during a rocky first inning, Corrigan settled in, as we've seen him do all too many times before under these northeastern lights.

His perfect control having long since departed him, he struggled to keep the Guides off the base paths, walking six and allowing another eight to reach on base hits. Corrigan, however, wasn't about to let those baserunners get between him and something special.

He induced three double plays, and got plenty of support from his Pittsburgh teammates, who scored nine runs on the night.

“Having played against him in the Ale for so many years, I know how much this night meant to him, and these fans. We all do,” Everardo Gremades said. “We wanted to do whatever we could to support him.”

Another veteran, right fielder Jose Guzman, provided a boost of his own, cutting down Hector Hernandez at the plate in the sixth for the first out of the inning.

Then, with Guides second baseman Shumkichi Kiyomizu facing a 2-2 count at the plate, and two men on, Corrigan threw that famous changeup that had helped endear him to the hearts of Guides fans for over a decade.

Kiyomizu swung early, and pulled a harmless fly ball to left fielder Pete Gentry for the second out. And with hotshot rookie Pat Payne up to bat next, Millers manager Lonnie Hyde made the tough decision to go out and take the ball from Teagan Corrigan.

With tears in his eyes, Corrigan hugged his manager, handed him the ball, and turned to make his departure.

The cheers crescendoed as Corrigan made the slow walk from the Old Port Park mound to the dugout for the final time, with the standing ovation lasting for over six minutes, and the Guides dugout emptying to shake his hand as he left the diamond.

Pittsburgh held on for the 9-3 victory.

Corrigan receives the win, of course. It's the 231st of his BLB career, bringing him one behind Russ McEvoy for the all-time record that once belonged to him.

And now, these teams go their separate ways. Pittsburgh heads off to a probable playoff berth, their first in seven years.

And the Guides?

With a forgettable season winding down for Maine, and an uncertain future lying ahead, a night of remembrance was just what the doctor ordered.

And the man known as Four Eyes, who left an indelible mark both on the organization and the hearts of fans, gave them one last thing to cheer about.

You couldn't have written a better story.
    </td>
    <td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    Maine Guides
    General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
    Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
    Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
    Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
    8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
    30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

I cried.

Thanks for the article.

Sent from my mobile device.
    Denver Bulls

Comment

Thanks, Carlos. That is what I was going for.

I was really moved by how Corrigan exited the game. It's almost as if OOTP knew what was going on.

You ideally want him to leave in the middle of an inning, so he's granted that dramatic, emotional exit with the standing ovation as he leaves the field.

But usually when a starter is pulled mid-inning, it's because he just got torched.

This was the rare occasion where he gets in some trouble, bears down, and records a couple tough outs before leaving with his head held high.

Perfect.

I'm trying to cultivate a writing habit, so I am going to make an effort to do one of these for every sim.
      Maine Guides
      General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
      Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
      Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
      Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
      8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
      30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Well I welcome them. Between Matt's pedophile articles and Intrusive summaries on past months, a warm story is more than needed.

Sometimes you want those little statistics to be real people. Good for Corrigan.

Denver Bulls

Comment

Hey...I wrote this gem years ago!

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...ighlight=ponte

And I'm still waiting for someone to step up and write a little article for the BLB Times...ahem!

Comment

I respect Corrigan much more because he so obviously tanked those few months in Denver. Way to take a stand Teagan.
            Charlotte Knights - OSFL
            Syracuse Slammers - BLB
            South America - 1984 WBC Runner Up

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              Hey...I wrote this gem years ago!

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...ighlight=ponte

And I'm still waiting for someone to step up and write a little article for the BLB Times...ahem!
              I was impressed but my memory is short. I barely remember the purpose of this thread.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
              I respect Corrigan much more because he so obviously tanked those few months in Denver. Way to take a stand Teagan.
              He pitched for Denver?

Denver Bulls

Comment

Working...
              X