SGN Needs a New Host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGN Needs a New Host

Due to the recent upgrades to the site and a steady decline in performance with our current host it's become obvious that it's time to move/upgrade. Features such as the BLB utilities, OSFL database and enhanced HTML for the NCFA are causing significant strain on the server. We're also working on a re-design of the front page with plans to bring more content and new features.

We're currently looking at a hosting plan that gives us greater processing power, more memory and more control over the site. It is much better than our current shared plan because our performance won't be affected by other sites on the same server.

However, this is significantly more expensive than what I'm paying now and more than I can cover on my own. While we have never and will never charge our members to participate in one of SGN's online leagues, we are asking for your help in covering this expense.

Our options are:

1) Upgrade the site and run telethon style donations to cover the yearly cost. We're not interested in making money on this site so any donations over the yearly cost will either be re-invested in the site or applied to future hosting costs.

2) Leave the site as is. We may continue to experience the occasional downtime (this is happening pretty much on a weekly basis now). It also means we might need to remove current features that are using too much processing power and cease plans to add new features currently being developed.

DISCLAIMERS:
    - Donations will be optional. Everybody's financial situation is different so we will never require donations to participate in SGN Leagues or the Forums.
    - Donations do not guarantee a spot in SGN Leagues or make you above the rules. If you are removed from a league or banned from the forums donations will not be returned.

Our goal is to provide our members with the best experience possible. Please let us know your thoughts.

I will donate if option one is selected but the occassional downtime does not bother me much.

Can you give us some idea of how much money you'll need to raise for the upgrade and if it will require yearly fund raising?

Comment

I'd have no problem donating on a yearly basis. Not sure I could donate a ton, but i'm sure every little bit helps.

Comment

Well, I usually don't donate to internet sites, but I will gladly do that for this site.
        All the features that we currently have and all the new stuff that Ben, Andrew, Linty, and Matt have been working on needs to be continued. All the features we have here really add to the leagues that we run.

Andrew, how much money do we need?
        OSFL: Lake County Extreme 2008-2028, 2010 Champions
        BLB: Morgantown MoHawks
        BBA: Star City Shooters

Comment

It would be a yearly donation. If every GM donated I think it would average out to about $10-$15 per person.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
            It would be a yearly donation. If every GM donated I think it would average out to about $10-$15 per person.
            That is very doable I would think. I would gladly Donate 10-15 bucks per year.
            OSFL: Lake County Extreme 2008-2028, 2010 Champions
            BLB: Morgantown MoHawks
            BBA: Star City Shooters

Comment

We should just pool all our money together, give it to Clay and have him place it on a sports bet.
              Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
              Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
              Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                We should just pool all our money together, give it to Clay and have him place it on a sports bet.
                I'm going to let you have your fun because you have a concussion.... but remind me to tell you to **** off later.
                The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

Originally posted by Clay View Post
                  I'm going to let you have your fun because you have a concussion.... but remind me to tell you to **** off later.
                  I won't remember.
                  Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                  Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                  Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Stop hijacking my thread.

Comment

I know for me.... a buck or two a month for the volume of entertainment I get out of these leagues/this site is a no-brainer. Hell... I pay $40 a year for XBox Live and NEVER use it. You can definately count on it from me. I hate outages... and I'd hate to have to sacrifice some of the new stuff that is being worked on....
                      The Great One!

To many rings to count...

Comment

Agreed. I'm going to put up at least $25 a year... or double of what's needed just in case someone can't make a donation or something.
                        California Kodiaks - GM - 1982-2013
                        Brewmaster's Cups: 1987
                        Import League Champions: 1987, 1989
                        Porter Division Champions:
                        1986, 1987, 1989, 1999
                        , 2000
                        Import League Wild Card: 2001, 2003, 2004

Comment

Is it paypal or something? Let me know, I'll donate today. This is my first site to check when I wake up and before I go to bed.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                          - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                          - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                          - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

I'm good to donate. I actually paid $20 to the stupid Trukz game last year then had to listen to my g/f make fun of me for months.

"Gonna go play your truck game."
                            "So where's your sweet truck right now."
                            "Better get that CB so you don't get pulled over."
                            "You're a loser."

Comment

Originally posted by elprez98 View Post
                              Is it paypal or something? Let me know, I'll donate today. This is my first site to check when I wake up and before I go to bed.
                              Yes, I added a paypal link here:

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...pg=info_donate

It is also accessible from the About Us section of the menu bar above.

Comment

Working...
                              X