No announcement yet.

2010 Around the League News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerlach Hears from Medical Staff: The latest news from the Davenport Brawlers clubhouse is this: closer Travis Gerlach is expected to be out of action for another 5 months. He has a fractured elbow, sustained on 08/23/2010. Gerlach expressed a bit of relief. "At least now I know," he said.

Gerlach has 3 saves in 69 relief appearances this season with a 4-0 mark and 1.98 ERA. In 68.1 innings he has 61 strikeouts and 21 walks. Other clubs are hitting .186 against him.

Slammers Snap Chiba's Streak at 21: Terumoto Chiba went 0-for-3 to break his consecutive-game hitting streak at 21 games. The 28-year-old Baltimore first baseman failed to get a hit today in the Bulldogs 7-4 victory over the Syracuse Slammers at Phillips Field.

This season Chiba is batting .358 with 181 hits, 31 home runs, 97 RBIs, .407 OBP and has scored 74 runs.

Kodiaks Trujillo Down with Injury: The California Kodiaks were dealt a severe blow when Dani Trujillo was hurt colliding with a player at a base recently in a game against the Denver BC. After the game, the team trainer reported Trujillo might have to spend a lengthy time on the disabled list. Today doctors confirmed it, ruling the 41-year-old shortstop out for the rest of the season with torn ankle ligaments. They indicated it would take Trujillo at least 2-3 months to heal.

For the year Trujillo has hit .284 with 8 home runs, 35 RBIs and scored 48 runs.

Schuh Out of Commission 4-5 Months: Team officials for the Davenport Brawlers have revealed that the recent injury to Tom Schuh will keep him out for 4-5 months. The 31-year-old starting pitcher suffered a torn rotator cuff on 08/24/2010. He has not played since.

This year Schuh has a 15-7 record and a 3.01 ERA.

2000th Hit for Yamamoto: It was a great day for Fujiya Yamamoto of the Death Valley Scorpions -- but not a perfect day. He became the latest player to reach the 2000-hit mark, but his team lost the game. The 35-year-old first baseman got his hit in Death Valley's 8-2 loss to Maine.

"It was a very special game for me, but not a good one for the team," said Yamamoto after the game. Commenting on his achievement to reporters, he told them, "2000 hits are a lot. It puts you in a very select group. You have to hit well over a lot of seasons to do this. It's a good feeling to have your name in the record books with the other guys who have reached this level."

He finished the day with 1 hit in 1 at-bats.

Over his career Yamamoto has batted .291 and collected 2000 hits, 257 home runs and 1068 RBIs.

Comment

Garner Twirls Guides to Shutout Victory: Tyler Garner of the Maine Guides was in command from start to finish in his 8-0 shutout win over the Pittsburgh Millers. He struck out 6, walked 0 and allowed 5 hits.

"I felt strong the entire game," Garner said. "I felt like I had my good stuff. It was just one of those games when everything was working."

To date this season Garner has compiled a 9-12 record with a 3.57 ERA in 27 starts.

Clarke Receives Updated Diagnosis: Since 08/29/2010, when he suffered shoulder inflammation, Tyler Clarke has been waiting. Waiting to hear how badly he injured himself during that day's game. Today word came down from the doctors that the Death Valley starting pitcher would miss 6 months. "It could have been better", said Clarke, "but it also could have been much worse."

Checking out his stats for the season, Clarke has notched 8 wins and 8 losses in 24 starts, 4.72 ERA and struck out 112 batters in 131.2 innings.

Star SS Signs Pact with Brawlers: Davenport fans celebrated as word of a signing became reality. Dave Nelson won't be pulling up stakes anytime soon, as he has signed a 6-year extension at a pay rate of $16,250,000 per annum.

Since he is widely seen as an integral part of the club, Davenport officials had to keep Nelson from jumping ship.

To date this year Nelson is batting .271 with 16 home runs.

3-Homer Hat Trick for Ladd: Bombs away!
      Washington bombardier Pat Ladd set his sights on the stands and blasted three balls over the fence in a 10-4 win over the Morgantown Mohawks. It was a powerful performance that should keep the fans at The Capitol buzzing for days.

He spoke to the writers in the postgame press room and said, "I guess you could say I was a good guesser today, especially on the last one. I was ahead in the count, so I got set for a certain pitch, and got it ... all of it."

For the game the Washington right fielder had 3 hits in 4 at-bats, drove in 4, and scored 3 runs.

Pat Ladd flied out in the 2nd, hit a solo-shot off Chang-weon Kahng in the 3rd, walked in the 5th, hit a solo-shot off Joey Kosh in the 7th and hit a two-run home run off Ian Drake in the 8th.

Thus far this year Ladd is batting .281 with 21 home runs, 74 RBIs and 71 runs scored.

BNN Stats: Career Pitching Leaders: Which pitchers are leading the Brewers League Baseball in career saves?

Ken Bayer, -, 583
      Adrián Díaz, -, 560
      Vernon Simmonds, -, 555
      Koichi Nakashima, DAL, 529
      Casimiro Cabezas, -, 487

Comment

Nice extension for Nelson. Clarke out hurts us a bit down the stretch. Glad I picked up Neal and have Honea for the roster expansion.

I think Clarke is going to be a solid pitcher for us and was happy with his rookie season. He faded in the summer, but I got a glimpse of his ceiling early in the season. I think he'll be a solid #4 type for us for a while.
        Death Valley Scorpions (2003-Present)
        Division Champs '05 '07 '08 '11 '13 '14 '15 '16 '19
        IL WC '09 '10 '12 '17

IL Champs '13 '16 '19
        Stout Slugger '08 (Jones) '15 (McCarley)
        Last Call '08 (Manning)
        New Brew '08 (Pulido)
        Desert Legends
        #33 Danny Salcedo ('15) #30 Colin Cash ('16) #32 Brendan Lindsey ('17)

Comment

Dinos Lose Lona for 3-4 Weeks: Dinos shortstop Marco Lona was hurt colliding with a player at a base during today's Canadians game and suffered a sprained wrist. He will be laid up about 3-4 weeks.

Lona is currently batting .335 with 25 home runs and 74 RBIs.

Fisher Befuddles New York: Travis Fisher of the Maine Guides was lights out in a 5-hit whitewash of the New York Knights.

He told BNN reporters, "I had my good stuff and it went where I wanted it to go."

He registered 6 strikeouts and no walks in shutting out New York 5-0.

This season Fisher has compiled a 12-9 record with a 4.05 ERA in 26 starts.

D'Orio Slaps 5 Hits: Dave D'Orio really sizzled at the plate in today's 10-3 win over Clowns. The Pittsburgh catcher blistered Indianapolis for 5 hits in 5 at-bats.

"D'Orio was too tough to get out today," the Clowns skipper said in the postgame interview. "No matter what we threw him, he hit it. And he hit some good pitches, too."

Dave D'Orio singled in the 1st, singled in the 3rd, singled in the 5th, hit an RBI single in the 7th and singled in the 8th.

So far in 2010 D'Orio is batting .306 with 26 home runs, 95 RBIs and 77 runs scored. He has 158 hits in 517 at-bats and a .335 OBP.

Tobs Chill Feliciano's Hot Streak: Carolina brought Hector Feliciano's hitting spree to a screeching halt today in its 5-2 victory over Morgantown at Mountaineer Park. The Tobs mound staff snapped the 31-year-old first baseman's hitting streak at 22 games. Feliciano failed to get a hit in 4 at-bats to end it.

So far this year Feliciano has hit .293 with 36 home runs, 99 RBIs and 81 runs scored.

Dapson Expected to Miss 4 Months: Since 09/12/2010, when he suffered a ruptured finger tendon, Jerrod Dapson has been waiting. Waiting to hear how badly he injured himself during that day's game. Today word came down from the doctors that the Maine center fielder would miss 4 months. "It could have been better", said Dapson, "but it also could have been much worse."

Posting a .209 batting average to date, Dapson has 16 home runs and 53 RBIs.

Star 3B Signs Extension with Davenport:
          Media analysts hailed Davenport's signing of Xavier Hernandez, one of Brewers League Baseball's brightest stars, as a pivotal move.

While the deal is certain to raise a few eyebrows, Hernandez is expected to earn every bit of the $81,000,000 promised him over 6 years.

Hernandez is hitting .317 so far this season with 77 RBIs and 65 runs scored. He has 163 hits including 12 home runs, 35 walks and .367 OBP.

Comment

Bafford Receives Injury Update: Ethan Bafford will have to wait a while longer. The Pittsburgh left fielder was informed this afternoon that he will miss another 3 weeks with a sprained wrist. The injury has kept him off the field since 09/11/2010. Though Bafford had hoped to return soon, he has no choice but to be patient. "Gotta stay focused," he said. "Gotta stay positive."

In his season totals Bafford has 31 home runs and a .320 batting average.

Star MR Raymer Signs for 2 years: Pittsburgh fans celebrated as word of a signing became reality. Jamie Raymer won't be pulling up stakes anytime soon, as he has signed a 2-year extension at a pay rate of $3,010,000 per annum.

Since he is widely seen as an integral part of the club, Pittsburgh officials had to keep Raymer from jumping ship.

To date he has nailed down 3 saves for his club. In 70 relief appearances, Raymer has 104 strikeouts in 76.1 innings with a 3.89 ERA and a 4-3 mark.

Garner Tosses Shutout for Maine:
            He didn't put a spell on them. It wasn't black magic, it was just old-fashioned good pitching. That's how Tyler Garner of the Maine Guides blanked the Dallas Snappers 9-0.

After tossing a complete-game 5-hit shutout, he was all smiles, saying, "I threw a lot of my pitches for strikes in this game. I mixed it up and tried keeping these guys off balance."

His own skipper said, "He's at his best when he gets ahead of the hitters." Garner walked 0 and struck out 6 in the victory.

The Snappers manager commented on their lack of success against him, saying, "He was throwing his breaking ball for strikes and we never capitalized on any of his mistakes."

This season Garner has worked 222 innings with 177 strikeouts en route to a 11-13 record and a 3.32 ERA.

Medical Diagnosis Updated on Contreras: The medical report is in: the injury that has kept Windy City closer Victor Contreras out of action since 09/16/2010 will sideline him for another 9 months. The 28-year-old Contreras, who has a stretched elbow ligament, said he heals quickly. "I'll be back soon," he said, "and I'll pick up where I left off. "

This year Contreras has no saves with a 1-2 won-lost mark and 4.45 ERA.

BNN Stats: Batting Split Stats Leaders:
            Here is a peek at the top 5 hitters leading the Brewers League Baseball in RBI while batting in close & late situations.

Zachary Henne, PIT, 34
            Antonio Cardenas, WAS, 29
            Jon Montalbo, PAW, 29
            R.J. Kemp, DAL, 26
            Steve Suarez, MAI, 26

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
              I predict 51 HRS. Over or under?
              Well done!
              WINDY CITY PLAYBOYS
              Bock Division Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
              Wildcard Playoff Berths - 1984, 1988, 1993, 2010
              Import League Champions - 1978, 1979, 1980, 1986, 2008, 2009
              BLB Champions - 1986, 2009
              Hall of Famers: 4
              Pale Ale Pitcher Awards: 6
              Stout Sluggers: 2
              New Brews: 6

Originally posted by fsquid
              You guys should trade with Windy City.

Comment

Villarroel Swats Record-Breaking Home Run

With one historic and mighty swing at The Sandlot Alex Villarroel of the Dallas Snappers wrote his name in the league record book. Home run number 51 made it official. He now hold the record for most homers in a season, snapping the old mark of T.J. Dunn, the previous recordholder.

Interviewed after the game Villarroel said, "Don't get me wrong. I loved setting the new home run record. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the cheers and hullabaloo, but I don't think the records I've set will be the thing I'll most remember from baseball. Those will be broken and fade away over time, but the most cherished memories for me will be the teams I played for, my teammates, the families, friends, fans and the communities. They will always hold a very special and lasting place in my heart."

Alex Villarroel homered off Mike Sanchez in the 1st.

This year Villarroel has hit at a .257 clip with 139 RBIs, 51 home runs and 94 runs scored.

Comment

You haven't heard the last from Dunn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Toronto Canadians - 2004-
                  Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2022
                  Domestic League Champions: 2021, 2022
                  Ale Division Champions: 2021, 2022
                  DL Wildcard: 2019, 2020

Davenport Brawlers - 1988 to 1998
                  Bock Division Champions: 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1995

Comment

Originally posted by Spear View Post
                    You haven't heard the last from Dunn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    McGwire vs Sosa!

These guys are young. Villarroel is only 24!

Comment

Originally posted by Sully View Post
                      McGwire vs Sosa!

These guys are young. Villarroel is only 24!
                      Watch out for Jamie Monson of Syracuse. He's just 24 as well and hit 32 HRs in 125 games and just 416 ABs.
                      Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                      Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                      Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Not used to this type of power in the BLB.

Comment

Congrats to Villarroel. I hope Dallas constructs a Royal Village in the outfield where his fly balls end up. Superstar.

sent from my mobile device
                          Denver Bulls

Comment

Player Option Decisions
                            Hartford Whalers: C Agustin Perales voids his last optional contract year.
                            Pittsburgh Millers: 1B Brendon Gleason voids his last optional contract year.
                            Pawtucket Patriots: CL Sandy Franco has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Los Angeles Dinos: MR Tyler Earley has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Toronto Canadians: SS Todd Boyce has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Toronto Canadians: 2B Manny Pena has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Syracuse Slammers: SP Tom Hau has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Seattle Reign: CF Jaime Frantz has executed his last optional contract year.
                            California Kodiaks: MR Koji Tsuda has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Philadelphia Freedom: MR Tom Stolarik has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Philadelphia Freedom: MR Tom Downs has executed his last optional contract year.
                            Baltimore Bulldogs: LF Kokoro Fujii has executed his last optional contract year.

The decisions by Perales and Gleason immediately makes them two of the most attractive Free-Agents. I'm assuming Hartford will do everything they can to bring back the 32-year-old back stop but what will Pittsburgh do? Gleason had a great 2010 but Mike might spend the money elsewhere.

The rest of the player options were executed...and I'm sure a lot of teams are upset about that.

Retirements
                            Los Angeles Dinos: SP Erik Keifer retires.
                            Davenport Brawlers: MR Geoff Jenkins retires.
                            California Kodiaks: SS Cy Gray retires.
                            Baltimore Bulldogs: 3B Willie Bernabe retires.
                            Syracuse Slammers: SC Doroteo Lezo retires.
                            New Orleans Dukes: DO Sean Wright retires.
                            Philadelphia Freedom: PC Taro Yamaguchi retires.
                            Batavia Muckdogs: DO Emmitt Whitted retires.
                            Washington Bats: DO Kelby DeLeslie retires.
                            Indianapolis Clowns: HC Carlos Brelloch retires.
                            Maine Guides: PC Mal Reilly retires.
                            Syracuse Slammers: MA Iván Hernández retires.
                            Los Angeles Dinos: DO Alexis Gomez retires.

Keifer calls it a career at 38. From 1996-2003ish, he was one of the best pitchers in baseball. Also retiring is long time MR Jenkins, fielding wiz Cy Gray and some dude named Willie Bernabe. Also retiring where scouts, coaches and team trainers.

Coaches Up For Grabs
                            Maine Guides: Scouting Director Pueblo Hincoya leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Pittsburgh Millers: Bench Coach Jeff Seymour leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            New Orleans Dukes: Pitching Coach Doug Wheler leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            New Orleans Dukes: Hitting Coach David Beeson leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            New York Knights: Team Trainer Kazuhiko Yasuda leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Indianapolis Clowns: Bench Coach Gui-fei Tian leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Dallas Snappers: Bench Coach Ernie Tate leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Dallas Snappers: Hitting Coach Luis Succarde leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Dallas Snappers: Team Trainer Edgar Medina leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Denver BC: Hitting Coach Duncan MacGregor leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Denver BC: Team Trainer Rubén De La Torre leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Davenport Brawlers: Manager Tim Crump leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Davenport Brawlers: Team Trainer Danny Miranda leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Batavia Muckdogs: Manager Don Clark leaves the team, his contract was not renewed.
                            Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                            Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                            Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

I was actually happy CL Franco stayed. Thought he may void and ask for some silly raise.
                              PAWTUCKET PATRIOTS
                              Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016
                              DL Champions 91, 03, 04, 10, 13, 14**,16,17
                              Ale Champions 92, 93, 94, 02, 03, 04, 10, 11, 13, 14**, 16, 17, 18
                              Wildcard 91, 95, 12

** Partial credit. Ran in Expo mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
                                Watch out for Jamie Monson of Syracuse. He's just 24 as well and hit 32 HRs in 125 games and just 416 ABs.
                                Murillo is 25 and had 32
                                CAROLINA TOBS

Bock Division Champs - '99, '01, '10, '11, '12, '13

Brewmasters - '11

Comment

Working...
                                X