This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pat View Post
    But a minor leaguer can still play in Spring Training without being on the 40 man roster?

I'm rusty.
    Yes, your minor leaguer can play ST without being on the 40 man roster
    Miami Sharks (BLB)
    * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
    * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

But a minor leaguer can still play in Spring Training without being on the 40 man roster?
      In these newer versions, yes. Non Roster invites are a thing now. Some time prior to ST the Spring Training roster will show up in game and players added to it don't have to be on the 40.
      Philly Freedom
      Owner & GM: 1987 - Pres.
      Porter Div. Champs (Mbr '84-'15): 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2011
      Stout Div. Champs (Mbr '78-'83 & '16-present): 2016, 2017
      IL Wild Card Winner: 1987, 2013, 2018, 2019
      Import League Champs: 1984, 2010, 2017

Comment

• How to make the most of spring training

* Be aware of the possibility of injury. Players are more likely to suffer injuries in spring training than in the regular season, according to the OOTP manual. Keep this fact in mind as you set your depth charts. If you have players who are particularly fragile, carefully monitor their appearances during the spring. They're not in peak playing shape yet. Limit their action if you can — enough to shake off the rust, but not much more.

* If you have the DH, use it wisely. Don't stick with your expected regular season lineup without thinking about it. The DH is a valuable tool in the spring for getting a vulnerable player at-bats without risking injury in the field. Use this tool to help your team get ready and healthy for the regular season.

* It's the best time for learning new positions.
        Players learn new positions more quickly in the spring, per the OOTP manual. If you want a player to get reps at a new position, spring training is the best time because (1) he'll progress more than usual, and (2) the learning curve won't impact your team's performance in meaningful games.

* Don't stress out about performance. We're talking about a handful of at-bats and innings pitched. Players often don't play even half the game. Don't worry about a small handful of at-bats against unusual competition in irregular situations.

* Fill out your roster. In OOTP 16 you can invite players to spring training without them having to occupy a spot on your active (regular season) and 40-man rosters. You have these spots — use them!
        Maine Guides
        General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
        Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
        Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
        Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
        8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
        30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

• Really useful, thanks Z

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
          Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

• Can a good coach bring out the potential from a veteran player?

For instance, OF Jimmy Rosema is listed by OSA as 6/6/2/5/7 current but 7/6/2/6/8 potential. Does the game keep his potential for the reminder that in the right circumstance he can play to that level? Otherwise, shouldn't his current match his potential?

Also, good time for a bump:

Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
            How to make the most of spring training

* Be aware of the possibility of injury. Players are more likely to suffer injuries in spring training than in the regular season, according to the OOTP manual. Keep this fact in mind as you set your depth charts. If you have players who are particularly fragile, carefully monitor their appearances during the spring. They're not in peak playing shape yet. Limit their action if you can — enough to shake off the rust, but not much more.

* If you have the DH, use it wisely. Don't stick with your expected regular season lineup without thinking about it. The DH is a valuable tool in the spring for getting a vulnerable player at-bats without risking injury in the field. Use this tool to help your team get ready and healthy for the regular season.

* It's the best time for learning new positions.
            Players learn new positions more quickly in the spring, per the OOTP manual. If you want a player to get reps at a new position, spring training is the best time because (1) he'll progress more than usual, and (2) the learning curve won't impact your team's performance in meaningful games.

* Don't stress out about performance. We're talking about a handful of at-bats and innings pitched. Players often don't play even half the game. Don't worry about a small handful of at-bats against unusual competition in irregular situations.

* Fill out your roster. In OOTP 16 you can invite players to spring training without them having to occupy a spot on your active (regular season) and 40-man rosters. You have these spots — use them!
            Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
            Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
            Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

Can a good coach bring out the potential from a veteran player?

For instance, OF Jimmy Rosema is listed by OSA as 6/6/2/5/7 current but 7/6/2/6/8 potential. Does the game keep his potential for the reminder that in the right circumstance he can play to that level? Otherwise, shouldn't his current match his potential?
              I think it's merely a reminder of the player he used to be.

Occasionally you do see a veteran visibly recover "lost potential," but in my experience the potential is just a permanent holdover from the player's prime.
              Maine Guides
              8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLetterZ View Post
                I think it's merely a reminder of the player he used to be.

Occasionally you do see a veteran visibly recover "lost potential," but in my experience the potential is just a permanent holdover from the player's prime.
                That seems strange to me as you do see with other vets, their current/potential is the same, despite a talent drop.
                Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
                Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
                Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

That seems strange to me as you do see with other vets, their current/potential is the same, despite a talent drop.
                  For a more dramatic example, look at Edgar Castillo.

A few years ago, he really did have 5 contact and 7 power.

Now his contact is a 4 and his power is a 5.

He turns 38 in March.

He's never going to have 7 power again.

Same with Pat Ladd.

Their time is past. Only the shadow of potential remains.

Pure speculation, but to address your point...

I think when the drop is due to randomness or injury, both ratings and potential fall.

When it's just age, the rating drops and the potential remains.
                  Maine Guides

Comment

• Can I jump this Thread up to discuss about the best ratings for the OF positions, please correct me if I am wrong and I will edit this post.

RF --> 1 Range, 2 Arm, 3 Error
                    CF --> 1 Range, 2 Error, 3 Arm
                    LF --> 1 Range, 2 Error, 3 Arm

Am I right? Or how would you prioritise in 1,2,3

Range, errors, arm
                    Last edited by Sharkn20; 09-19-2016, 02:50 PM.
                    Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkn20 View Post
                      Can I jump this Thread up to discuss about the best ratings for the OF positions, please correct me if I am wrong and I will edit this post.

RF --> 1 Arm, 2 Error, 3 Range
                      CF --> 1 Range, 2 Error, 3 Arm
                      LF --> 1 Range, 2 Arm, 3 Error

Am I right? Or how would you prioritise in 1,2,3

Range, errors, arm
                      Range is most important, period. If you can't get to the fly ball, your hands and arm don't matter.

If I have someone with great range, I try them in center.

If their range isn't so great, then I put them in right field if they have a good arm and left field if they don't.
                      Maine Guides

Comment

Range is most important, period. If you can't get to the fly ball, your hands and arm don't matter.

If I have someone with great range, I try them in center.

If their range isn't so great, then I put them in right field if they have a good arm and left field if they don't.
                        Thanks buddy
                        Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

• Do we know for sure that the game gives a crap about a RF having a strong arm?

I've started to question it.

What I mean is, if the game is designed to test fielders, does the game actually say, "oh that was hit to right, I should try that arm when rounding second."

Or does it simply determine: base hit, runner has option to advance, test arm or no?

The key being "hit to right field." I'm not convinced the game cares where it's hit. It only cares about opportunity (being runner speed, aggressiveness, perhaps the score) against arm strength.

And it's important to me because if an opposing team is made up mostly of pull right handed hitters, I'm probably more interested in using my stronger arm corner fielder in left.
                          Last edited by Carlos; 09-19-2016, 02:53 PM.
                          Denver Bulls

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlos View Post
                            Do we know for sure that the game gives a crap about a RF having a strong arm?

I've started to question it.

What I mean is, if the game is designed to test fielders, does the game actually say, "oh that was hit to right, I should try that arm when rounding second."

Or does it simply determine: base hit, runner has option to advance, test arm or no?

The key being "hit to right field." I'm not convinced the game cares where it's hit. It only cares about opportunity (being runner speed, aggressiveness, perhaps the score) against arm strength.

And it's important to me because if an opposing team is made up mostly of pull right handed hitters, I'm probably more interested in using my stronger arm corner fielder in left.
                            I don't know if a strong arm makes it less likely for a runner to try for an extra base, but if the runner is going to try anyway, I want to have an arm out there who might be able to throw him out.

From what I've seen, it is much more likely for a runner to try for third on a ball hit to right than a ball hit to left. That's what you'd expect to see.
                            Maine Guides

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkn20 View Post

Seeing how deep this game is, I would like to know as a Baseball newbie, cause I saw some games in the TV but just having notice about "Ball", "Strike", "Run", "Home-run", "Steal the base", "Throw to the base"... As you see basic stuff.

I would like of course to learn more in order to start to dig into the OOTP and eventually try to be competitive when I get my franchise in the BLB....

"ERA" why is it important? Is important for Offense or Defense?? Is it good to have an high rate or low rate? Many thanks! All the help will be more than appreciate!
                              18 months ago, Shark was asking basic, elementary questions about baseball.

Now, he's BLB champion.

Cheers.
                              Maine Guides

Comment

18 months ago, Shark was asking basic, elementary questions about baseball.

Now, he's BLB champion.

Cheers.
                                Thanks to you guys, you taught me excellently

Cheers for you guys
                                Miami Sharks (BLB)

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)

Comment

Working...
                                X