This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
    looking up all college/hs players by hand, is there a way to identify the draft eligible players in-game?
    BLB > Transactions > Draft Pool > Draft List > Available Actions = Ask Scouting Director for All Rounds

He will then produce a list of players that I assume is to be something like a Mock Draft. It's not necessarily who HE likes but I think it's more a prediction of how the draft will go. I'm pretty certain that the draft list is very similar scout to scout with a few minor variations. Now, that doesn't mean that you can only draft off that list, as sometimes players will be selected 30+ spots from where they are on the list...but without revealing too much if the draft list isn't static.

My scouts draft list:
    1 SP DeGennaro (went #1)
    2 SP Stokes (went #3)
    3 ---
    4 C Erik MacD (went #2)
    5 ---
    6 SP Bernardi (went #4)
    7 ---
    8 3B Patton (went #6)
    9 ---
    10 ---
    11 ---
    12 ---
    13 ---
    14 ---
    15 OF Banda (went #7)
    21 OF Whaley (went #5)
    Wilmington Wildcats- 2057-
    Seattle Pilots- 2017-2041
    Washington Bats - 1979-2013

Comment

• I am logged in through Stats Lab, I prefer ingame since I have specific reports set up ingame to sort through players.

Thanks guys!
      Columbus Catfish (2020-2030 & 2036-2038)
      Huntsville Bulldogs (2043-present)

Comment

• The Scouting Director's preference when it comes to projecting the future potential of players. The projection attribute has five settings: Highly Favor Ability, Favor Ability, Neutral, Favor Tools, and Highly Favor Tools. A Scouting Director that favors ability will base players' potential ratings on what the player can already do and project what he thinks the player will become in the future. The director that favors tools will base the players' potential ratings on the maximum peak the player could achieve. In theory, a scout that favors tools will find more superstars, while a scout that favors ability will find more serviceable major league players.

I saw this in the manual, and it got me to thinking... Is there an over-riding thought to which is better, or is it a highly guarded secret...

My scout highly favours tools, but should I have one that favours ability...

Please help!
        GM California Kodiaks 2014 - Present
        Brewmaster's Cup Champions 2036, 2043

GM Edmonton Herd 1987 - Present
        Brewmaster's Bowl Champions - 1990

GM Toronto Arenas 1979/80 - 1982/1983
        Brewmaster's Ice Cup Champions 1979/80

Comment

• Great question. I think a lot of GMs prefer ability to tools.

Which ever you favor I would think heavy one way or the other might not be ideal.

Depends on how you like to draft though. I would think tools scouts have more early round busts but also more late round finds. Opposite for agility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat View Post
            Great question. I think a lot of GMs prefer ability to tools.

Which ever you favor I would think heavy one way or the other might not be ideal.

Depends on how you like to draft though. I would think tools scouts have more early round busts but also more late round finds. Opposite for agility.
            That would explain Marquez! Damn... There's that name again!!!!

Having said that, I have had some very nice third round picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeystyxx
              Favour ability = the 'Moneyball' method, looking for talent based on their actual production and ability now, projecting on from there how good they can become in the future.

Favor tools = the 'old school' method, looking at a guy's basic 'tools', the building blocks on which a baseball player is built. Their strength, speed, athleticism etc, projecting how they will turn into ability later on. They're not just looking for 'good' players, they're looking for guys who have what it takes to be huge. But in the process they'll miss perfectly good talent because they don't have the traditional 'tools'.

Generally speaking, Ability guys will find more 'average' talent, and a few really good guys. Whereas Tools guys will find more 'meh' players that never develop like they're expected to, but also the occasional megastar that ability guys wouldn't have found.

If you've got an athletic, strong guy who can't hit for toffee in college, ability guys won't be interested. But Tools guys will say "hang on a minute, give him a few years to develop and he could be great" - maybe he will, maybe he won't, that's down to destiny. Likewise, the Jose Altuve's of the world would be completely ignored by Tools guys, even though they're hitting over .300, because they don't 'look' like stars. Most Altuve's will go on to be mediocre AAA depth players, but a few of them will turn in to a big league star.

Basically, Ability guys find players with high floors but can't be too sure about their ceilings. Tools guys find guys with generally low floors, and huge ceilings. But not all of them will ever reach that ceiling.
              From the OOTP boards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                From the OOTP boards.
                Thanks Matt! In other words, I need two scouts.

Comment

• Developing rookie High Schoolers, anything I need to know? Like should they play more time than usual in A, or do I just watch their production?
                  Columbus Catfish (2020-2030 & 2036-2038)
                  Huntsville Bulldogs (2043-present)

Comment

Developing rookie High Schoolers, anything I need to know? Like should they play more time than usual in A, or do I just watch their production?
                    It depends on how developed they appear to be. Someone who already has 4/3/3/3/3 ratings is much more ready to play regularly than a 2/3/2/2/2 player.

As a general rule I bring high school prospects off the bench in single-A and let them start roughly once a week.
                    Maine Guides
                    General Manager: 1994-2032, 2049-Pres.
                    Ale Division Champions: 2000, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2028, 2029, 2030, 2053
                    Domestic League Champions: 2006, 2011, 2018, 2028, 2029, 2031, 2052
                    Brewmaster's Cup Champions: 2006, 2018, 2028, 2031
                    8 Bermeo | 9 Hiraki | 10 Davila | 15 Kubota | 17 O'Moore | 18 Sanchez | 21 Cleary | 26 Memmoli
                    30 Suarez | 32 Gutierrez | 34 Suarez | 45 Corrigan | 47 Hernandez | 66 Alvarez

Comment

Developing rookie High Schoolers, anything I need to know? Like should they play more time than usual in A, or do I just watch their production?
                      You will notice that in his stats wether they are ready to play full time in A or not...

Be careful about they beijg angry with their performance or mood... Bad faces mean bad development.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
                      Miami Sharks (BLB)
                      * BLB Champions --> 2017, 2020.

Ohio River Sharks (OSFL)
                      * OSFL Bowl CHAMPION > 2036, 2047.

Comment

• I still don't understand the finances in this game.

So, in game, it says my Money For Free-Agents is $16.75M.

However on the financial report page, it says my projected is $2.36M.

Is there some major cost about to drop?

Comment

I still don't understand the finances in this game.

So, in game, it says my Money For Free-Agents is $16.75M.

However on the financial report page, it says my projected is $2.36M.

Is there some major cost about to drop?
                          I'm sure Brad can come and tell you how wrong I am but as I see it, your Money Allowed for Free Agents is how much money you have left from [your owner approved budget - your projected expenses]. Your owner lets you spend all the money you want under budget before he gets pissed. Or until he finds out you've been cooking the books (AKA Pawtucket) and are way going to spend way over budget in hopes of make up the shortfall in playoff revenue and Clay Cash.

Your Projected Balance should be your projected revenue - your projected expenses.
                          Last edited by Delandis; 02-19-2017, 10:09 PM.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                          - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                          - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                          - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

• Originally posted by Delandis View Post
                            I'm sure Brad can come and tell you how wrong I am but as I see it, your Money Allowed for Free Agents is how much money you have left from [your owner approved budget - your projected expenses]. Your owner lets you spend all the money you want under budget before he gets pissed. Or until he finds out you've been cooking the books (AKA Pawtucket) and are way going to spend way over budget in hopes of make up the shortfall in playoff revenue and Clay Cash.

Your Projected should be your projected revenue - your projected expenses.
                            Ok. So under my situation listed above, I should really only add $2M in order to make a profit this season? Not the $16M left for FA?

Comment

Ok. So under my situation listed above, I should really only add $2M in order to make a profit this season? Not the $16M left for FA?
                              Yea. I don't know how to explain it in business speak, but as long as you keep making money at your current pace and maintain the current expenses you should be at 2MM profit. However, if you continue to lose fans coming to the park, don't expect that profit as your actual end of season revenue is going to be less than your projected revenue at this point in the season. I think the developer tried to combat this by allowing us to change ticket prices in-season so you can entice fans to come to the park cheaply and maximize revenue with lower ticket prices.

Or I could be completely wrong. Brad and Clown will likely come in and make more sense than me though. I'll just shut up now.
                              Last edited by Delandis; 02-19-2017, 10:19 PM.

Baltimore Bulldogs - BLB since '84
                              - Porter Champs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12
                              - Playoffs: '92, '93, '97, '98, '99, '01, '03, '06, '08, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
                              - Brewmaster's Cup: '01

Comment

• Thanks dude. That makes sense to me!

Glad I asked. Was ready to do another bailout for $16M but really, I should stay put to turn a profit. It's the least I can do for an owner who thinks our team focus is still "Win Now!"

Comment

Working...
                                X